HELP........Thinking of going to Commercial diving school....PLE .HELP.........

im thinking of going to CDA school of jacksonville in FL.Im 32 and im  a plant operater,you no the one that sits on my butt all the time looking at computer screens.....i have been doing that for 2 1/2 years....i been in construction befor that..welding,fab work,rigging,Iron worker.pipe,and so on.but i want to be a Commercial diver really bad  more less a under water welder ,,damn that looks so cool...but i hear bad things on how hard it is to get a job and the pay sucks..I don't want a SCHOOL teacher to tell me that it is all good and that i don't have to worry about anything ...lol lmao right ....sure..i live in south carolina and i make about 17 a hour..sitting on my butt..i would like to hear it from the real divers ,how much is the pay for the 1st year..i mean i got bill to.and how much traveling it is.i have a little 6 year old girl,And how hard it is to find a job.ples. tell me befor i try and get a 28k school loan .....BIG step for me ....ty so much..i really want to do this .........but i need to know the facts....ty

Views: 12749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve it seems to me you have some expectations of diving and $-where did you get your ideas?
i always wanted to dive and try welding under water..but i never had the money.but when i here about having to be away from my kid for 6months or a year ...i just cant do that,i would go crazy..maybe 2 to 3 months not a year.but i really wanted to dive and make it a Career but the money has to be there to.Maybe this is not for me,Thats why i wanted to hear it from yall than a teacher.i want to do t but not at my little girls expenses....
I respect your comittment to your daughter, being away for 6 months is not really the issue, I've known several families that adapted-but I know many others could not deal with the non-schedule timetable-the simple unpredictability of events that preclude a routine. Welding underwater does pay a premium, but at the extra expence to the diver in certifications that must be maintained, along with the commitment. see www.hydroweld.com and there aren't really alot of specific welding jobs to support you coming up thru the ranks. Tough decision, try and look at it without trying to be a millionaire. good luck-bill
Well bill,i going to tell you .Im divorced so i get her as much as possidle.i look back at how much money i have saved for her college and its VERY low.I also look at my boaring job and just know i can do something better.As far as the phyisical part thats no problem.im alittle out of shape but i use to power lift.im more worryed about the starting money and the time i9 will be out there.ohhhhh and i hope i can get a grant to cover all or 98% of the school.I dont want to wast my on money on something that i might quit in a year.But the only way i will Quit is i cant see my girl at least every 2 to 3 months.....im going to talk to one of the schools tomorrow so im going to hit them up with all kinda Q.So if you or any 1 here that knows any facts it all helps me make my decision...........ty
Be careful when you talk to any school recruiter. As with any recruiter, they will promise you the world and then give you squat. Most recruiters at these schools have no idea what a diver does nor do they know what instructors are teaching. You will be looking at long term debt. You keep asking about the money side of the house. There has to be more to your decision then the money. We all want the "Dream Job" so we can rest on our laurals later on in life. There is family involved. They have to be receptive of the separationsand the 3AM call outs. You will start off at the bottom of the ladder and work your way up. Before you can put the Filet Mignon on the table you have to settle for the Beans and Franks for awhile. Diving is not just putting the Hat on and jumping in. Today as compared to when I was actively diving (I made my last working dive in 1998 at the age of 62) he diver has to do a lot more thinking and be able to figure a lot more things about a job then we did. Divng is a profession. It is something you have to love to do. It has to be in you to do it. I've seen people drag up after their first week off shore becaus it was hard work. If you are going to do it for the money, it can be the worst job you have ever had. Another aspect is the "Red Hat" (the new kid). You will have to put up with the B/S that comes with it. They will try to run you off and if you have feelings you might as well leave them at home. When I was teaching Commercial Diving I used to tell my sudents "If you can't put up with the B******* I'm giving you, you will never make it out there in the real world" And that's Gospel.
So my advice to you is- sit down, think hard and long on this, talk it over with family, wife, ex-wife, girl friend and maybe even immediate family i.e. mom dad brother or swister. Get their input. Then make your decision from there.
I dived the militery, the Guf and inland over the past 53 years and loved every minute of it. Lert me know what you decide.
The "Old One"
If you want the best training available from a safety and diving skills perspective I suggest you go for UK HSE. I went to PDA in Scotland and I'm delighted that I made that choice. HSE will also allow you to work anywhere and from my own experience will open doors that other certificates can't. I've been lucky enough to get into work straight off and unlike GOM have been working as a diver from day one. Best if luck man whatever you choose to do!
if your diving strickly for money....give up......diving is awsome no matter what you make..just to be one of the few to be underwater doing something most would never do or get to do is the life of this
I graduated from CDA two years ago and have worked inland steady as soon as I got out of school. Alot of the post on here are from offshore guys. You said your in the carolinas There are alot of inland companys there. but they don't pay very much. I was offered a job in charleston for 18 an hr. no benifits. The plus side is your home most of the time. Your background is perfect for an inland diver with the fabrication, and welding. But like a few other guys have said we're not underwater welders were underwater construction workers/laborers who sometimes do some welding.
CDA was a good school gave me a good start but it was way to much money.
ty nate that helped alot.i called 2 of the inland companies around charleston they said that they only pay around 15 to 18 so yea i see why every 1 goes out for work,by the way i live 45m for charleston in a small town called andrews,but there school idi dont offer any kind of aid or grants.i know cda is very high but i get grants and aid for the school.but tell me this why should i go to a school that cost 28k and whin i get out i only make $15 a hour.whin i can go make $23 to $30 a hour right now.i talk to 1 diver to day that just got back from the gulf and he said that he made 55k in 4 5months on a rig.but i asked him if there is a compeny out there that will let me come back home every 1 to 2 months.He said there is i would just have to go over there and see.im scared if i get over there that i cant get home.that worrys the s*** out of me.Also is there some kinda hours that i have to hit before i get to make some real money???.REALLY i just want to no is it all WORTH IT ?????? Would you do it again????
Steve,

FWIW, You have answered Your own question, stay and make "$23 to $30 a hour right now" and see Your daughter grow up!

It would be several Years for You to be paid $30.00 per hour in the diving industry in the GOM.

Ask and You will see.

The Employment market now IS NOT GOOD!

Your IDEA of what "DIVING" is and the REALITY are Different, much Different.

Regards

Joseph ~ ⎷⎛⎝⎛
i see.
Excellent advise pay attention Steve. The money you save will be your own.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service