For all you folks attending a diving school. Just for my own edification. Please ask your student advisor/or equivalent at the school -How many divers are working in the USA-- or how many working offshore and how many inshore. How many diving companies are there associated with each field in the USA (or where you are attending ie. Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Norway, South East Asia, South Africa. AND how many divers do they graduate every year? I'm not expecting a big reply but its' really piqued my curiousity and it's something we all should have some awareness of in a highly competative market. The other thing is I don't expect they will give you very frank and accurate answers,(cynical ol' me) it's something they may not want to "know".-----keep in mind these schools grind on year after year, so if estimate graduates at 1000-2000 ? per year going back and looking forward wheres the tipping point. When do we have market saturation or do we ever? & when does this saturation start the bidding war that brings wages spiraling down-or are we already there?

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ocean Corp pumps out between 12 to 27 every five weeks. only 2 had jobs when we graduated. one inland one offshore company.
Just for a ball-park figure over here, the Underwater Centre in Fort William will have run about 14-16 courses this year. All full. (courses used to be 12 men, possibly up to 18). Dunoon seems to run one course at a time, 9-10 weeks, so you gotta guess at 5-6 courses a year with a similar class size. let's say an average of 20 courses, with 12 guys on each- 240 Baby divers per year from the UK alone. The other main Schools outside the UK/USA would be the 2 in SA, INPP in Marseilles, TUC in Fremantle, 2 in Norway, and the Dutch State school. I'd put an estimate on between 800-1000 new divers per year with a ticket that is HSE recognised, and therefore IMCA recognised, not counting the US Schools, which I know nothing about. (modesty? yes, Monday morning- I'll get better as the week goes on.).
This is where the calculations fall down, and it'd take a professor to work out- A rough estimate of UK inshore contractors, that these Baby's could potentially get work with would be around 200. Then there's the Inshore Companies in the rest of Europe (Huge coastline- gotta be dozens in, say, France that noone hears about), add the wh*** of the Middle East, SEA, Australia, Africa... I'd say impossible to work out, given that there are quite sizeable companies out there who do Harbour work etc. that no-one really hears about, and many of them don't work fulltime, but job to job. Then Add all the Offshore companies, think of a number..double..er quarter, carry the 1...
Bottom line is that there is, has always been and always will be a huge amount of Divers who never get their 1st job, and give up.
A few years ago, a Union in the UK (I believe) had some statistics regarding HSE Diver Medicals, the upshot of this was that, of the Divers who undertook their 1st Diver medical, 20-30% took a 2nd one, and approx 10% took a third. This is still inaccurate, as having a medical doesn't make a Diver, but it would appear to be close to anecdotal evidence. (out of a class of 13, two of us were diving a year later, etc..)
Hope this helps. I'm off for a coffee and a wank.
well just out of curiosity. I'd like to know what are the odds that something might happen in the near future that might help new divers to enter the industry. Oil prices are low but is it logical to think that they will increase as soon as the economy in Europe gets hold of the current financial crisis? What about the average age of the divers in the offshore related division? Heard that many (at least in the north sea) are nearing their retirement age?
Forgot to mention that NYD in Norway was pumping out approx 60 divers per year but the number has almost doubled. Around 100-120 every year.
Your Figures don't add up. Dunoon churns out 10 courses a year with 12 on a course and they do extra top-up courses. As for Uk inshore contractors, I doubt there are 100 in business. The rest of your post is pretty much spot on.
That's kinda the point I was making: there's only guess-tamates that you can go by. But I'm pretty sure that as a ballpark figure, worldwide, excluding USA, there'd be around 800-1000 IMCA approved tickets handed out, between around 9 schools, probably more.
As for Civils companies, in the UK, you have to remember all the 1 man bands that populate every Town with a harbour, along with the 'biggies'. In the Shetland isles alone, there was, at one point, around 8-10 companies, fom guys that would take on the big stuff, to barely-legal fish farm co.s- I'd say that there was closer to 200 companies inshore. If you look at the current ADC membership list, there's 91 members. That's purely the ones that choose to be in the ADC(UK). I could mention about a dozen companies straight off who aren't on that list. The point is not the numbers though, it's the fact that no-one knows, or cares about statistics like these.
"well just out of curiosity. I'd like to know what are the odds that something might happen in the near future that might help new divers to enter the industry."-- global warming

and CWDI approx 36 per annum
Eric, Oil is hovering around the $70 a barrel mark- that's not low. In the early part of this millenium it was down to about $8(!)
But, yeah, sure as oil runs out, the price will head back up to the mad levels of last year. There is no good to come out of a huge number of new divers all entering the industry at one time though. This would end up in a dangerous situation indeed. But far as I see, new divers are 'moving' through the industry all the time. If you can't get work in the North sea, you go somewhere that you can get work and experience, and if you keep the head down and keep learning, all of a sudden you aren't a 'New diver' anymore, and you work your way up the ladder.
Yes, the Age of North Sea Sat Divers might be around the late 40's, but this is an Average, and there's many over 50, these would be the 'Experienced' ones. Not a good idea to get rid of these guys just for the sake of having a bit of youth on board, is there? There's plenty more in their 30's who are learning from these old boys, and hopefully we might get away without the 'skills shortage' that was predicted for many years, due to the lack of opportunities in the '90's.
I go to Divers Academy International, and I can honestly tell you they won't give me a straight answer if I ask any of those questions. It's all a salespitch to them. Currently they graduate a class between 18-32 every month (after finishing a five month course). With all these schools pumping out graduates so quickly, is there still going to be work for us in the next decade or so?
Daniel That is the crux question....

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service