My wife is being stationed out of Vilseck.  I'm fresh out of dive school as well as a former US Army NCO.  What are my options in Germany?  Any companies based there?

Views: 2152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Buy a reliable campervan...
Whys that ?

Your biggest problem is getting the right to work.  You could get your HSE/IMCA approved diver card, but this is only a small step.  Remember that people are lazy, and they are not going to work hard to get you a job.  Since you just got out of school, you have no experience and little to offer.  Europeans dislike Americans, so don't expect any help from them.  

There are some American companies in the North Sea that might be congenial.  McDermot, and Oceaneering might be worth looking into.  UCS is a Spanish based company that pimps out divers all over.

Once again is the right to work.  You need to be eligible to work in the area you're in.  This is hard to do, but it can be done.  

You might be better off talking to Blackwater.

How would I get HSE from ADCI?  Some type of top-up course?

Well, first of all, the campervan, because you are nowhere near any coastline, and as a new start, you'll probably have to travel, at least to a harbour, for work. Germany used to have an extremely in-depth(!) training program, where you started off as an apprentice diver, and ended up as a Master Diver after a few years of experience. nowadays, they are part of the EU so they will have to accept IMCA or HSE certification, but inshore Germany, there are plenty of German Divers and relatively little work. Id guess you'd have to sprechen Deutsche pretty well too. As for Offshore in Germany, Nah. There IS installations off their coast, but it's usually serviced by, say Dutch companies, for example. to work Offshore Holland, you'll need to apply for a conversion ticket from the NDC in Delft. I don't know if they accept ADC or not. Check them out.
Macdermotts and Oceaneering haven't had a Diving presence in the North sea for over a decade. Oceaneering still have inspection and Rope access divisions, Mac'D's just simply pulled out.
you might get lucky in the Windfarm work off Germany, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, UK, etc, but if you want to break into Offshore diving, you are probably going to have to travel to the Middle East, Far East or West Africa,after getting IMCA'd up.
I'd contact INPP in marseille, the Underwater Centre or PDA in Scotland, or the NYD in Norway to inquire about some form of ERCA course (Experience Route Competence A****ment). I know that Fort William used to do these, and Americans used to go there, and go through a series of a****sments to satisfy them that you can get the equivalent HSE ticket. Alternatively, some of your cousins over the way can probably help out-
I've read somewhere that there are certain schools in North America which can get you a IMCA ticket , but all of these options are going to cost....

Good Luck

You can get your IMCA by going to CDA in Jacksonville, FL.  After you satisfy them, then they send a letter to Canada and they will cert. you HSE.  The Canadian cert. is IMCA recognized.  To work in Dutch waters you need their cert. too.  They will look over your qualifications and make a judgement.  I went through all of this last year.  It's a huge pain in the arse, and if it wasn't for the company that was employing me helping, I don't think I could have got it done.  The Dutch are difficult.  

You might want to consider the side door...Get your IMCA approved medic, then try to get on with a company looking for such.  It's a simple and cheap course, nothing like becoming a DMT in the US.  

Always worth getting a DMT, Paiste, but I can't see it being a Back Door- you still have to have a Diving qualification to go alongside it anyway, so like you said- get the Canadian ticket.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service