Below is a list of some injuries and deaths from burning. The last three I don't have a date for and a couple I don't have the company he was diving for. Please add to the list if you can

Can anyone direct me to any published Reports or Safety Flashes on any of these Injuries or deaths.

Marc Begneaud....Cal Dive Death…..7-03

Tony Rosenbaum....Cal Dive…..injury....8-04

Chris Johnson...Veolia. injury.....11-08

Ian Buchan--Veolia..injury...8-09

Chris Hollifield.....Death...Veolia....7-10

Can You give me dates on:

Jude Herpin....Death American Oilfield Divers Date?,

Jim Sugrue.....Death Company and Date?

Scott Mercer.....Death Company and Date:

Views: 1603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Explosions cause damage to all hollow organs...why we call people within a certian radius of a blast the walking dead, they have no chance of surviving their interanal bleeding and collapsed aveoli that rupture during the blast.
Bill I do remember the guys who mentored me using these and explaining how to use them. Also "seacut" and "jetcut" are still good burning rods but as I say they require more skill from the burner. In reality the company offering their services to do the job should anticipate and expect any and all options but as we all know that reality in this business can be and often is
overlooked. So many times it is sell the job,mob. the job and let the hands doing the job on site deal with the realities and consequences of the jobsite.
And that my friend is the reality of our chosen profession.
In fact Joey would say most "it is sell the job,mob. the job and let the hands doing the job on site deal with the realities "
You are so right my friend ! I'm all for a real certification of our profession across the board it is so long overdue it is just not funny. And I don't necessarily mean ADC,IMCA blah,blah. Real certification needs to come by way of a third entity such as USCG or OSHA or both. I do not think diving companies want this because among other things pay would have to keep pace with the certifications.
I haven't been in the gulf since the close of 2008, I hear that several companies are getting away from underwater burning operations. Is this true or another product of the rumor mill?
Hey Rebekah, hope to see you down here again. Stand Up hands are always welcome. The Oil companies are trying to figure what to do now. I think when they get their act together I get what I have been asking for, for years. Testing and Qualification Cert to Burn. They won't let a welder weld on their structure with out a Cert. To even hold a damn meter in your hand on NDT work you have to have the training and a cert. Neither of diving job kills you.
Latest List. Additions and corrections made Anyone have more to ADD?

USA

John Edwards…Taylor Diving….injury…..1968

Pat Joseph……Fred Divine Diving & Salvage….injury…..1978

Jim Sugrue …….American Oilfield Divers....Death………3-1991

Jude Herpin.…American Oilfield Divers ...Death…..2-1993

Scott Merce…. Titan Marine…….Death……….7-1999

Michael Mahoney.....Bisso....Death...12-1999

Marc Begneaud....Cal dive Death…..7-2003: Rectifier Welding Machine in use. Company policy stated DC Generator only. Know the dive was using Broco Torch No Investigation published.

Tony Rosenbaum....Cal dive…..injury....8-2004: Rectifier Welding Machine in use. Company policy stated DC Generator only. Know the diver was using Broco Torch No Investigation published.

Chris Johnson...Veolia. injury.....11-2006

Ian Buchan--Veolia..injury...8-2009

Chris Hollifield.....Death...Veolia....7-2010

Overseas
Chris Hill, Stolt Comes Seaway….Dead……6th August 1999

Christophe Fournier, Hydrokarst…Dead…24th july 2008, cutting up a wreck in Marseilles Harbor
It really is stupid to require certs for the safer skills, but allow just anyone to go torch happy on a rig.
Burning Death & Injury Current list: Does anyone have more info.

Do to the lack of investigation/reporting there is little published information.

USA
John Edwards…Taylor Diving….injury…..1968

Pat Joseph……Fred Divine Diving & Salvage….injury…..1978
Billy Ray Hill….Valley Liners & Equipment…Death….. 6-1986 Cutting Barge Salvage

Jim Sugrue …….American Oilfield Divers....Death………3-1991

Jude Herpin.…American Oilfield Divers ...Death…..2-1993

Scott Merce…. Titan Marine…….Death……….7-1999

Michael Mahoney.....Bisso....Death...12-1999

Marc Begneaud....Cal dive Death…..7-2003: Rectifier Welding Machine in use. Company policy stated DC Generator only. Know the dive was using Broco Torch No Investigation published.

MMS report, no personal details…..2003…P & A job. Oxy Arc cutting, H2 build up, explosion, fatality. No proper drawings, insufficient venting.

Tony Rosenbaum....Cal dive…..injury....8-2004: Rectifier Welding Machine in use. Company policy stated DC Generator only. Know the diver was using Broco Torch No Investigation published.

Chris Johnson...Veolia. injury.....11-2006 See *MMS Report below

Ian Buchan--Veolia..injury...8-2009

Chris Hollifield.....Death...Veolia....7-2010

Overseas

Clive Collett……..United Salvage Company of Melbourne….. 10th April 1969 cutting up wreck

Chris Hill……Stolt Comes Seaway….Dead……6th August 1999

(See IMCA SF 05/04)…2004 Oxy Arc explosion, Ship's plate, diver unconscious/dizzy, 3 days off work.

(See IMCA SF 05/04)…2004..Oxy Arc explosion, tank, salvage diver perforated both eardrums, 37 days off work
Christophe Fournier……Hydrokarst…Dead…7-24-2008, cutting up a wreck in Marseilles Harbor

*"MMS - 05-APR-2007, Chris Johnson
Incident:- 23-NOV-2006, Veolia, INJURY, REQUIRED EVACUATION,LTA (1-3 days),
The cause of this incident was an apparent build of oxygen in a cavity of the anode. The diver was working on the Northwest corner of South Timbalier 300, Platform A at a depth of -30 feet. He was in the process of relocating an anode for the installation of pipeline risers for W&T Offshore (pipeline segments 15208 and 15209). When he struck an arc an explosion occured. An apparent build-up of oxygen occurred in a cavity of the anode. The explosion knocked the diver unconscious. The diver was being watched on live video and was immediately recovered to the surface after the explosion. His helmet was removed and he was placed on a backboard. He was treated by the onboard medic and was found to have facial lacerations, a chipped tooth, and sore ribs. The diver was stabilized and evacuated to Terrebonne General Medical Center at 2200 hours. He was held overnight for observation and released from the hospital at 1050 hours on November 26, 2006. The diver will be out of work for three weeks. He had a follow-up doctor's appointment scheduled for that week and he should be released to full duty." Diver had severe injury never returned to Diving!
Hi John. I am a an electrical tech, not a diver, but I take the safety of my divers seriously, and often have to say "all stop". It is certainly a fine line between being a panic merchant (there are plenty) and just safety consious. Being a panic merchant can often get you a NRB (Not required back) but you have to draw the line at serious safety hazards, and there are plenty.. Can I ask, what is the significance of using DC and a rectifier in particular that should make burning more unsafe? I have only used AC. Also, how does the O2 build up in the broco holder get a source of ignition? I would have thought that the arc was far too far away to have an effect, but obviously it does. Thanks for your pdf. I will look a lot more carefully at the broco gear from now on. Cheers, Craig. Saudi Arabia.
The Cable is attached to the head inside the handles by a set screw in the broco torch. It is made of discimilar metel. Hydrogen may and I believe is, created their their is also a plastic fitting past the trigger, that if cracked adds Oxygne to the mix. If the cablke arcs yuou have a Bang. see attached pdf

Been asking for testing of this and more for over 5 years. No joy yet. We where told for years DC Generator only. Most companies policies here say it. Suddenly they say a modern rectifier is OK. Bur back it up with nothing. US Navy say shallow, for limited time. What the hell does that mena?
Attachments:
Yeah, got the pdf and it's a goody. Thanks.
OK, so ignition is by loose welding cable arcing in the clamp.. What's the DC issue then? Also what's the rectifier issue? DC is DC. I don't understand the problem. Anyone else got any explanation?

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service