Hey everyone finally signed up and love the site. I was just curious I'm starting to get the it h to go offshore. I've been an inland dived for the past three years and have a few hundred dives under my belt with all fascites of inland work, most in zero vis. But here in the summer work is slow for me and I've been wondering with the experience I have does that account for anything going offshore or would I still start off as a deck hand? 

Views: 1838

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

NO TOBY. YOU "MUST"HAVE 30 LOGGED "GULF" DIVES TO BE BROKE OUT AS A DIVER HERE IN THE GULF. YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T WORKED IN THE GULF FOR A WHILE. I'VE BEEN HERE 2 YEARS. U NEED THAT ADC CARD JUST TO BE A TENDER HERE. I HAVE 211 SURFACE DIVES INLAND. I TRIED HIRING ON AS A DIVER WITH CAL DIVE. YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE 30 LOGGED GULF DIVES TO BE A BROKE OUT DIVER IN THE GULF. CAL DIVE IS NOW 40

LOL, i'm not gonna argue with a tender.  go on with your bad self.  make your impressions on a diver forum all knowing wise one.  what was i thinking?  how could i bring myself to correct a tender/inland diver?  i have no clue what i'm talking about, my experience (6 yrs) doesn't mean a thing.  i most certainly should adhere to the knowledge laying down of the law by a you.  preach it brother man.  although you should be neck to the deck and pay your dues.
Roger that! 6 year diver god lol!

So you haven't done 30 dives. In 2 years. Jesus, they must be saving you up for all the good stuff....I'm calling wind-up on this.

OOOOOOOOO  OUCH! U sure don't know much about Toby do you???????????? 
Listen Kinfolk, when I came thru dive school, they asked by show of hand, how many where here for the money.  I saw a few trickle up (mines shot up), bois lyin bout thrill of the hunt, adventure, etc., whatever.  It was money for me. Hired on immediately inland and in the water next day, worked like a dog.  Stole all the knowledge I could.  Saw plenty B.S.  Learned this much, "Diver" is nothing more than a title, an underwater construction worker . Rather be a $40 janitor than a $12 diver.  "Experience", its not what u know, but how you utilized it. Anywhere u go u gotta prove ur weight in gold.  If you're what you say u are, it'll show.  Be intelligent.  Negotiate for ur wages and earn them.  Never rush into anything.  In this "WaterWorld", its your life that's at stake. Look, listen, and learn. Get ur money. Already!

Got that right!

A diver is a mechanic that go's underwater.

You must have mechanical experiance, if the employer wants bubbles he will buy bubble wrap.

In the old days, you didnt dive in the gulf until you earned your bones. Zero Vis Divers who came out humble, were respected and dove the first day on the job. Why? Night dives were their specialty, they got to sleep all day and dove all night. Experience ! Is a weapon use it well, No real diver will step down or walk backwards. Thats the reason the Gulf has gone to s***. No good company would have the balls to tell an experienced diver to go backwards. think about it before you go aboard.

Divers Dont go backwards in this business  once they've earned their bones, unless your desperate. The current practice even under the ADC's rule book is discriminatory and Illegal. REALITY Check! Would you rather have a green diver in the clear blue or one who has proven after years of service he can literally work with his/her eyes closed? ME as a Supervisor would rather have the later! 

When I was a baby in this business, GOM divers stepped aside on salvage op's when an inland salvage diver walked on deck. A Diver ( weather ADC carded or resume proved) is a diver Not a tender (Unless your getting Divers pay). Any Diver who steps backwards instead of walking should consider retirement. I didn't put 25+ years under my belt to bow my head to a teen aged tender! Wake UP you only get what you accept! If you accept less than what your worth, no real diver will pity you (Im not just speaking to TOM). Inland Divers make the BEST OFFSHORE DIVERS hands down. They are capable of doing work no GOM Diver could be trained for in a 10% or better vis situation. There are inland companies every where Looking for your experience and will pay you well to provide it. Stay where the real money is off shore has been run by the ADC followers for too long the mentality out there is backwards the reason the ADC is fixing to go under.  

I spent many years offshore and now I am diving on NAVY contracts and it is more money then work but hey I am older now and I like were I am at and really that is what it is all about. You have to figure out were you want to be, make money or make s*** pay and how long can you dive offshore in the GOM not very long and every one wants to go SAT till you are in and then you start to think how long will I live before some one kills me.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service