Hello All,

I figured if I had a question about the Commercial Diving world this would be the place to come. My husband works down in the GOM with a small company, and with all the recent events in the Gulf from the Deepwater Horizon to the diver who recently lost his life. It has made me think about what would happen if anything happened to my husband. I hold two policies on myself "just in case" but realized there isn't anything for him. Knowing how dangerous the job you all do is I have no idea who would even cover you guys.. So I am hoping some one here could point us in the right direction as to obtaining and what to look and ask for regarding this. I realize that many of you may say that when it is your time, that you hope you die doing what you love, out on the open seas or hundreds of feet below it. I can understand some of that having spent 19 years and counting in the Navy but I want to be smart and plan.. So any information is greatly appreciated..

Be safe to you all and thank you

Brandi (A very proud diver wife!)

Views: 625

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I always go with the max benefits that the company offers. It's usually just a few extra dollars, but I feel better knowing that my son will get enough to get him through college in case the worst happens.

There is also such an idea of self preservation. Some times you need to say no, not just no but "F%&K" NO. This will happen when working with a small company that cuts corners or basically doesn't know what they're doing.

Most life insurance policies won't cover certain accidents due to their dangerous nature, ie. skydiving, scuba diving, rock climbing, playing center on a greek football team, etc...

Go with what the company offers, if they have nothing, then he should keep looking for a better company to work for.
Yes you can get life insurance as a commercial diver its no problem.And you can for skydiving,car and motorcycle racing just about anything as long as you disclose it up front when you have your policy written. Saying you dont do something and then get killed doing it,yeah your policy is going to get rejected.Im 35 and I have a 1m for my kids so like James I know they will be taken care of all the way through college.My policy includes: diving,skydiving,motorcycles,snowboarding,surfing,mountain climbing plus the regular stuff. You have two types to choose from the first like regular insurance that you pay monthly and if nothing happens you get nothing.
The other is the type that you can get is that you pay and at a later date you can cash that plan out.
You need to decide first what you can afford for a monthly payment as there is a HUGE price difference in the two types roughly 2.5x the amount in my case.
The biggest part is be honest when having the policy written,there is not point in saying you dont do something because thats probably when you will need it.
Thank you to everyone who responded, I really appreciate it all the info you guys provided has really been helpful..
Brandi

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service