New toy new toy new toy

I have a new Stanley GR29 grinder.

Having had a practise run as you do on the surface and had no problem at all.

it cut like hell, i was realy pleased but!!!

We are cutting 15mm thick H beams on the seabed in zero vis after pressing the trigger the first time.

It’s a good deal harder than anticipated after the play at the surface.

1/ the 1st  problem the discs kept on slipping on the spindle.

Reason, the nut did not screw down enough, we have now sorted this, by having the nut machined off a thou of an inch perfect.

2/ we start the cut @20ltrs/min then slowly increase  to 25/30ltrs/min but it is almost impossible to hold for more than a few minutes.

Any tips for me as I am busting a gutt after about 90minutes I am wrecked.

Steve h

Views: 461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lets not get into a p*****g match boys you cannot learn anything that way.
The key is the JSA. or like I tell my boys Think, Ask , Act.
Think of what you are about to do.
Ask yourself or someone else is this the right way to do it.
Do the job.
Get it backwards and someone or something always gets busted.
Well Ace,
I really don't want to be the Politically Correct Safety Police. I was not referring to Mr. Henshaw's job in particular, but the concept of the notion that using a grinder is "Cold Cutting." One diver was killed, just cutting a h*** in some flat plate of a submerged deck. He was not cutting into a pipe or anything. I don't know the specifics of what Mr. Henshaw is doing, but couldn't an H beam, at an angle, have trapped gas under it? Like I said, I'm just trying to point out an inherent risk of this tool. Do we need a body count on every JSA?
If you would like to talk about specific tasks or accidents please contact me by private message. I'm always available to discuss our trade with another professional.
Roger dodger Mike.
soak it up haha
http://www.offshorediver.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&a...

Top of the page of Expensive Knowledge. Diver Steve Acton. I saw the report of testing CDI did after the fact. It may be available through the ADCI. The gist was that even though the grinding disk did not produce significant heat, the visible sparks into a void space full of an explosive gas is a probable source of ignition.
This should make it clear that grinding is not cold cutting. The same precautions should be taken as in any hot-work environment. I'm not saying your particular use of a grinder is unsafe by any-means, just that we need to be aware of the inherent risks of each tool.
OMFG, call me Mr. JSA! I'm starting to sound like a safety-geek!
now i understand

cheers
Ouch I hurt this morning, shoulders wrists and fingers.

Well we managed to cut it down in about five and half hours in total including disc changes, and as you would expect,2foot dia steel like rope hangs on to the last strand before breaking off, unless of course life is at risk then it just snaps with out being touched.

Not the sort of work I would want all the time but these days you take what you can get.
I am in no doubt that technique in cutting will improve as it has done so between the first and second piles, so the time element would be improved upon as has been the case here by nearly two hrs.
The first pile being a total disaster ref time and disc’s and grinder.

I think a number of small changes could be made to the grinder especially for the bigger diver depending on circ**stances of use, I found that two inches more on the handle gave me greater control during start up away from the job cut at high flow /rpm rates, but when cutting inside the web we changed back to the supplied handle and used it to add purchase to the cut it worked well.

Happy days.

I have now just quoted for a nasty one now we think we have our S*** together (nearly) .

This has 4”inches of rubber round it 1/2inch steel 2feet in dia then filled with grout and the steel delivery tube for the grout left inside this could be interesting or maybe just another pain.
This grout filled pile sounds like a fine job for a diamond wire saw. The grout acts as lube for the wire and you should be able to cut it off clean in less than an hour. Just make sure your saw is sized large enough to allow room for wedges to be hammered into the cut
Hi Steve, I have one of these "beasts" in my fleet of Sub Sea Tools. All I can say is be carefull!!! You can get seriously "panel beated" if you don't do it correct. I have a a steel jig for mine, and I use only experienced divers with this thing or I do the job myself. The Jig clamps on to the work, beam, pipe with 4 well greased stainless threaded rods running through to a backing plate, spreader bar. In case of a pipe, the backing bar is curved. The nuts is pulled tight with a spanner, and your'e ready to rock n roll. It takes longer to set up, but the machine is going nowhere, and you get to keep your'e arm a little longer!! And remember to make the power pack cold, before you move and relocate the tool. If your'e not strong, you must be clever! Be safe!!

Xagene Lotz, Breakwater Diving Services, South Africa
having now played yes i see exactaly what you mean as one of my up and coming said gizz a go mmm!!!! that will be NOT.
yes i am talking to a lad here who maybe able to make me a jig of sorts as on this i am going to need it.
as my shoulders are now my own but my hands are still on another body swollen etc but going down ok on sunday
if i said just thanks would that be enough

nice words informative and and

cheers for that
Cut the damn thing with a Broco torch. It's not like it is a P/L that hasn't been flushed. F***ing rooks

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service