Does anybody know how tie whipping around baillout hoses etc

this picture is an example im trying to find (courtesy of- Matthew "L A N A U E" Alexander)

every time i have been on a job which someone has done this i keep forgetting when its time to hit the airport

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

all it is is a one half hitch after another... just start at one end and work your way to the other.. you can finish by cutting and burning or gluing the ends.
by the way, it looks like this diver used seizing twine.....
sweet, totally what i have been doing already. just wasnt sure about any other techniques

thanks
there are tons of alternate whippings, see Ashleys Book Of Knots, knock yourself out with the variety and complexity from simple to rediculous. bill
I don't like the idea hiding the condition of the hose. Time, heat, chemicals can break down the components of the whip and make it unsafe. You cant see the condition, any bulging, cracking, or pulling away from the fitting, if you have it covered up.

What are you protecting it against? Chaffing? Are you cleaning barnacles with your bailout whip?! Are barracuda and trigger fish chewing on it?!

I use a bail out whip until I cant read the writing on it any more, then it's destroyed. Cheap insurance.
Try tying half hitches with both ends of the same piece. If you alternate one piece towards the right and the other to the left you'll get a cool looking cross pattern, like a series of x's. Also only leaves you to secure the bottom end verses both the top and bottom.
I agree with Leach about not hiding the hose though, but if you want to try it, start with a long line and tie a clove hitch near the center of your twine, or whatever you're using. Then using the long ends alternate your half hitches.

roger, thanks for the input.

i agree with seeing the degradation in your equipment but i take the upkeep of my gear pretty serious as it is and if the whipping is worn then the hose should probably get retired anyways
Skylar think of having a spare in your hat bag as waitting for another to show up somewhere sucks. It works for me.
good call.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service