HELP........Thinking of going to Commercial diving school....PLE .HELP.........

im thinking of going to CDA school of jacksonville in FL.Im 32 and im  a plant operater,you no the one that sits on my butt all the time looking at computer screens.....i have been doing that for 2 1/2 years....i been in construction befor that..welding,fab work,rigging,Iron worker.pipe,and so on.but i want to be a Commercial diver really bad  more less a under water welder ,,damn that looks so cool...but i hear bad things on how hard it is to get a job and the pay sucks..I don't want a SCHOOL teacher to tell me that it is all good and that i don't have to worry about anything ...lol lmao right ....sure..i live in south carolina and i make about 17 a hour..sitting on my butt..i would like to hear it from the real divers ,how much is the pay for the 1st year..i mean i got bill to.and how much traveling it is.i have a little 6 year old girl,And how hard it is to find a job.ples. tell me befor i try and get a 28k school loan .....BIG step for me ....ty so much..i really want to do this .........but i need to know the facts....ty

Views: 12749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What I like most about doing Civils is the remote jobs. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in some harbour or waterway. During lunch and dinner taking out the bbq, fridgebox and a couple of beachchairs while AC/DC is playing on the truckradio. HELLS BELLS!!!
Underwater I enjoy my mp3 player stuffed away in my hatliner. This stuff you can only do in civils.
Inshallaaaa...
Well...Steven. it takes a certain kind of person to do what we do. U can sail or fail, U may love it or hate it, but you will only know when u start to tackle the task. I am a father and it is hard to be away. but u have to decide. There are cheaper schools, and u are lookin at about 18-20 $ hr. as a fresh tender in the GOM and you get that depending on how fast u catch on and how well u know ur education and common sense. Dive School is bare minimum basics. I have been diving eight years and just started welding on a big job daily. An underwater construction worker is better than sittin on ur ass and never a dull moment, "when ur working" i recommend commercial diving to anyone who has "Balls" and an extra skill or job for down season. Work will be picking up for us im sure of it, so hope to see you on the back deck one day, hope this helps.
HEY I am in sc too and I was reading this and did you go to cda? I am thinking of doing the same thing and if you did let me know!! I have my own metal working business but times are tuff and I have thought that this type or work was for me... so if you did go to the school let me know otherwise I kinda dont want to be going 28 grand.... Thanks Austin....

803 463 3174
see the post below dude. if your already in SC, save 12000.00 and call David.
Call David Niesen @ IDI in SC. , smaller school, exact same carriculum (sorry my spelling sucks). Big Schools big bucks, small schools you dont waste money. call me if you need more imput.Believe it or not,at 43 I just went thru one to use my VA benifits. Call me, Ill help any way I can, 256-312-9503
im in school right now at divers acadamy international in erial new jersey,,,,and i can tell you that 5 months to learn all the info is waaaaaay to short,,there is soo much to learn ,,its rediculous....divers accadamy may cost more and i can tell you the owner is a pain ,,,but she is known world wide..and is respected by dive companies,,your chances for work will be greater,graduating from that school..anyways ...what ever school you deside,,,,make sure to set the partying and drinking aside and commit yourself 100 percent,,,they are right SOMEONES LIFE WILL BE IN YOUR HANDS
WOW Everett you sound like a poster child for that school.... But honestly where you go to school has absolutely no effect on you being hired.... Unless of course you are talking about one of the IMCA courses. All the U.S. schools issue an ADC card and regardless of the school attended that is what you will need to get a job in the G.O.M.
im not looking for a job in the GOM,,,
It hurts me to say this but stay where you are. You have a good job it looks like your holding a baby there if thats your kid they come first . If you had nothing going on I'd say go to a state dive school like the one in Morgan City only cost 4k . But I'd bet if you look around you could find a small dive company (inland most likely) That would let you work as a intern or ojt. Dont quit a good thing for a maybe when theres little faces counting on you.
Hi
I have 12 years plus reconstruction dive experience. I also went to Jacksonville, for my type certifications.
You can call me at 607-761-8390
I will answer any questions you have.
I will be coming to Myrtle Beach in mid July and then Jacksonville Florida.
Sincerely John Heath
Steve,

Hey Chief. Ex Navy Submariner here! I have been on this boat for a little over a year now. I've talked to a couple Commercial Diving Companies and learned a few things. If you go to the big water, you will have to pay your dues as a tender, if you go inland the pay is a bit lower, but you will end up diving right out of the gates or close to it. I started out working to go to the school in Jax. Bogus deal mean!!! They finally got approved as an HSA school, but they wont take s*** as far as Fed Financial aid goes. Uncle Sugar was ready to pay my wh*** school bill and throw the GI Bill in on top of that and life woulda been good right? Well they will only accept 7K of the Fed Fianacila aid, they tell you to use the GI Bill as spending money and want you to unass another 22 -24K to pay for the rest of the school and your dive gear. There are much better schools to go to. I have always been told to go to the school in Louisiana. Your other choice isn't a very obvious one at all, but well worth the leg work. I am going to Seneca College in Toronto Canada. They wiil accept all of the US Federal Financial Aid I recieve, and my GI Bill. Plus they are HSA ( your cert is a little more valuable), plus even as an international student your looking at 14K CAD for school and another 4K for gear. At 18K it is a much better choice than anything the schools in the US are offering. Hope this helps.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service