This past week I was sent down to burn stainless flat stock. Im fairly new to diving and i couldnt get the job done. The flat stock runs horizontal and vertical on the width. Its twelve inches tall. vis was about a foot and a half. I had a hell of a time getting the rods to ignite. I had no cutting lens. I couldnt see what the hell I was doing cuz the torch was so fing bright. and after four rods and little progress, I told topside. It was raining like mad and my supervisor was pissed he had to get dressed in to burn the S#%&.
IT WAS ONE HELL OF A DAY

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

avoid looking like a d@#k, if ya unsure ask questions
why didn't you have lenses?
Take it easy, when I was a tender I was taught to prepare for every dive my diver made, in all detail. When I screwed up I got a just deserved bollocking, because he would plan out his dives in detail and thereby catch me before we had committed to a dive plan. I took those lessons and carried them with me throughout my career, I trusted my tenders - but always checked twice-I was at the end of the hose, and thats' just professionalism. cheers. .
Same ol same o, how u?

I was in the same situation as you before as we only had like 10 rods to burn in the school.
A good supervisor will ask you as the diver to practice topside first before you do it underwater and I was lucky enough to be able to do so. And I had a good buddy ( Brett Mackay) who coached me and gave me tips on how to cut thick materials topside. Lesson learned and I am confident enough to do underwater cutting.

P/S- There is always back blast while cutting...no matter how much you vent..:P
Don't worry dude... Nobody masters the Broco on his first time. Not getting your rods ignited can be various reasons. Not enough O2 pressure, anti fouling paint or growth on the steel, not enough amps on the welder, worn out O-rings inside the torch, bad welding cables etc
I never took a lens down to burn and never got told to do so either. The reason why you were blinded was probably because you were burning hot all the time. Everytime your rod touches metal you get a blinding weld-flash up the eyeballs. It's a rookie mistake... and probably very funny for topside. You only make it hot to ignite your rod, then you make it cold immediatly and continue burning on O2 only.
Whilst burning, keep the rod between your indicatorfinger and middlefinger and use your pinky and ringfinger to navigate. When your rod is burned up, check your cut with your knife to make sure there are no bridges. Have fun and don't forget to vent.
IT ALSO A GOOD IDEA TO CLEAN YOUR RODS OF RUST BEFORE USING THEM YOU GET BETTER CONTACT. I carry a small file to use for this.
Liz make those lazy dog tenders wire brush and clean up your burning rods before you go in the water-you know as in the job title "divers tender"- yep you will have to double check their work after they finish too. Have fun.
yeah, that's the tenders job. i spent hours on the wire brush/grinder wheel with them rods on downtime waiting on the burning job to begin as a tender.
The problem is folks on a lot of our jobs the diver is the tender lol. You hat your self, kick your hose in and jump lol

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service