what is the thickness of the lexan faceplate of a SL27?

The suppliers want almost $50 for a $2 piece of lexan.  I'll just buy a sheet of lexan and a jigsaw and make my own.  I would take my old faceplate off and measure the thickness to buy the lexan but I don't want to do that till I have a replacement ready to go. (catch 22)  So anyone know?  I would guess 1/4 inch.

thanks 

Views: 916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure how thick it is, but lexan is easy to work with. You Can use a saber saw just fine and do the final finish with a belt sander sanding to a line. Might as well make multiples while your at it. You can forget about your family suing Kirby Morgan if you die in your helmet though. Although their Helmets are very tough and Kirby has never lost a lawsuit, so I would go ahead and make your own Lexan face plate.

Yes they are 1/4" thick but flange area has been milled so that area is thinner.  Why stay with 1/4"?   My helmets have 1/2" thick faceplates and thicker can be ordered if wanted. 

man, are you sure they are 1/4"?  I put a finger on each side of the faceplate and the gap between my fingers looks like 1/16" or......who knows???  When you tap on the faceplate it doesn't sound and feel as thick as 1/4" either.  I think the old SL17's were 1/4" but are you sure the SL27's are?   This hat was bought new in 1998.  I emailed Kirby morgan to ask what the thickness is but have not received a reply yet, if I ever will receive one.

Take it out and measure it. The seal is an o-ring , put some silicone grease on the o-ring and put the faceplate back in. NO BIG DEAL

very well.

Yes they are a 1/4 inch not hard to cut out but beware of Bev he may get on one paten infringement! The hat will also not pass inspection with aftermarket parts installed

why would you need 1/2 inch thick faceplate??? let alone something thicker? KMs are in sat… theres no reason for that

Why do you need a helmet?  Why not just pull a plastic ziplock bag over your head and stick a regulator in.  I have seen plenty of cracked faceplates.  All were 1/4" .  If you ever do salvage in zero vis water you will know reason for thicker faceplates. Bumping into stuff hard is a bit tough on 1/4" faceplates that are milled around the edge.

I'm sure divers supply in gretna could tell you… 

Nate, ever hear of a blow out? What kills divers is the trauma that affects the face throat and chest areas. More often than not the face plate is blown out or shattered. It is just another safety precaution and has nothing to do with the pressure!

I did it some time ago to my Millers and Tupperware!

Divers supply is going to tell what? Those people are goons!

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service