Molly Russell Wilson's Comments to National Offshore Safety Committee

SLIDE SHOW

The above slide show played while Molly Wilson read Olivia Smock and her comments to the Coast Guard National Offshore Safety Committee. Those comments follow.

My husband Matthew Smock was killed 1-8-2011 as a result of unsafe diving practices and divers and tenders that were not doing their jobs. He leaves behind 4 young children. Our youngest two were 1 and 3 years old. Matt’s 3 year old son has cerebral palsy and is not here to help me make decisions on his health care and quality of life. He is not here to walk his girls down the isle or see them grown up. And he is not here to see any of our dreams come to fruition.

Matt’s death could have been prevented had there been regulations requiring training for all personnel involved and outlined procedures being followed. Nobody seemed to know what was going on that day when an emergency arose. I am astounded at the lack of regulation by OSHA and the Coast Guard as well as the follow-up regarding investigation into fatalities and accidents that could lead to preventive measures. I have yet to receive a report on Matt’s death from the Coast Guard and it seems the ball has been dropped.

One of the things that bothers me the most is the many divers I have spoken with since that tragic day who think that the wh*** safety thing is a big joke. And my response is, it's no joke that Matt is dead, it's no joke that our kids no longer have their father, it's no joke that our lives have been completely changed, and it's certainly no joke that had these guys taken things seriously, done what they were supposed to do, and been properly trained, our husbands would be alive today!

I urge you to change the long overdue regulations in an effort to make the diving industry safer. It seems that if there were tougher regulations and harsh consequences for not following these regulations, we would see less fatalities in the industry.

Thank you,
Olivia Smock

I am Molly Wilson. My husband Chris Wilson was killed in 2009 from unsafe diving practices.
You see, Chris's bell partner didn’t have the necessary experience to be on this particular job with my husband. He was anyway. A lift bag that was tied down wrong released with my husband. The dive supervisor knew it was rigged wrong, but did nothing. The lift bag itself was sent down without a dump valve. Again supervisors knew, but did nothing.

I have watched the video of my husband's death too many times. I know Chris suffered excruciating pain. I also know he held on for as long as he possibly could, suffering to his utmost point. Because Chris never would have willingly left us. His family was everything to him. I know there were many people who could have changed the outcome of that day, but chose to do nothing. It was easier to do nothing, but nothing has a high price.

When you lose someone you love, your wh*** world is turned upside down. You can't breathe and the anxiety is overwhelming. You can't stop crying and at times think you are losing your mind. The most surprising part is the pain from it all doesn't kill you.

The dreams and plans we made as a couple all died with Chris. At first the emptiness leaves the obvious h***s no more him, no more sharing with him, no more feeling his strong arms around me. The thing is that as time pa**** more h***s appear. There is no-one to help with the children, no-one to help with the magnificent house he built, but didn't get to enjoy. No father to teach our boys the things they will need to know to become strong men. Our future is only what I can make it. Only what I'm capable of doing without him.

Now I'm left to raise our two boys alone. Chris isn't here to listen to them fight. He isn't here to yell at them when they play hockey on his hardwood floors. He isn't here to reassure them that he loves them no matter what. He can't celebrate Hunter's As. Or punish luke for shaving his arms and legs because he thought it would help him run faster in soccer.

The sad thing is nothing has changed since MY Chris died in 2009, since Chris Hollifield died in 2010, since Matt Smock died in 2011. This is just the ones I know.

The challenge you have is that until changes are made, you will continue to see me and others like me for years to come. There is absolutely nothing any of you can do to give my children their father back. It is too late for me. You can do something for other families. Please don't fail them too.

Thank you.

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I and my peers are personally committed to the effort to create clear and concise commercial diving regulations and enforceable consequences for those who violate such regulations.  I will say prayers on your husbands and your families behalf.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service