After much debate with my European Counterparts its finally been settled.  IMCA issues a Dive Medic certification.  However this is not comparable to U.S. Diver Medical Technician Training. A U.S. trained D.M.T. Has more stringent training and testing requirements. A D.M.T. by american standards must first be a trained EMT and then seek additional training  to become a DMT.  IMCA dive medic can be obtained in a week and it does not include the same level of training as American DMT's.  Real licensed DMT's are regulated by a national board of doctors.  So basically if you dont have the training and didn't make the sacrifice you dont get to call yourself a DMT.  IMCA Certified=Dive Medic thats all!

Any Supv. with a brain should already know this and hire accordingly!

Views: 862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep.  You're 100 % right.  It pissed me off a little to share my "DMT" pay with those IMCA Medics, but that's how the ball bounces.  I didn't recert. my ADC Supervisor or my DMT.  I'm doing all IMCA now.

My understanding is that IMCA does NOT even certify DMT's they just recognize DMTs that come out of IMCA approved training facilities.  I have however found a location that trains both IMCA and NBDHMT Dive Medics, however, the testing for the 2 are different, and also NBDHMT Dive Medics are required to perform more tasks above and beyond that of and IMCA recognized certification. 

Note the wording on the IMCA site.... "IMCA-approved"  not IMCA certified..

http://www.imca-int.com/divisions/diving/profile/personnel/training...

This is much like the IMCA approved diver training, as IMCA does not actually certify any divers. 

Right and right but try telling that to some of the brain dead in our ranks. The ADCI and IMCA are only a contractors club,organization,fraternaty or what ever they are calling them selves and cannot and will not dictate certifications.

Hey but you can spend the money and get a card that isnt even cool looking to impress the SCUBA chicks in the Keys hahahahahaha.

I am taking this course because I actually need both certifications.  

The IMCA DMT will compliment my current IMCA LST w/UK leg.. It will also compliment my Norwegian Legislation once i sit that exam module.  IMCA LST's in UK are required to have had this at one time or another, and in the Norwegian sector are required to keep it current. 

The NBDHMT DMT will compliment my intro training in hyperbaric medicine, and help me accrue hours to sit my CHT exam, for doing hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the hospitals.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service