My Condolence to the family!
 Does anyone know about this anything about this??

"On Oct. 23 at approximately 11:34 a.m., units from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office and Maryland State Police responded to the Dominion LNG Plant Gas Dock located at 2100 Cove Point Road in Lusby, to investigate a reported industrial accident. Members of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office Special Operations Team (SOT) arrived on scene first and provided assistance with medical treatment and attempted to resuscitate the victim. The victim, later identified as Mark Eugene Copeland, AKA “Country”, 45 of Palmetto, FL, was later pronounced deceased at Calvert Memorial Hospital.

The preliminary investigation revealed Copeland was working for Greg’s Marine as a laborer. His duties this day were to chip away old cement jackets placed over pilings at the gas dock, preparing these pilings for new jackets, approximately 1 mile off the coast of Calvert County. While conducting this task, Copeland was equipped with a neoprene wet suit, fins, a harness, and a diver’s helmet. Copeland slipped underwater and continued to the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay, approximately 40 feet. After several attempts, Copeland’s supervisor finally rescued his unconscious body from the Bay’s floor. CPR was conducted by Copeland’s co-workers as well as medical staff and members of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office.
Forensic Investigator Inscoe was contacted and responded to Calvert Memorial Hospital. Investigator Inscoe’s Investigation revealed there were no signs of trauma to the body. The deceased was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore, Maryland for an autopsy.

This is an on-going investigation handled by TFC M. Roy of the Calvert Investigative Team (CIT) and the United States Coast Guard"

This is the Company mentioned Web Page

http://www.gregs-marine.com/diving.htm
"Our diving operations meet and exceed OSHA regulations for commercial diving while complying with the standard of the Association of Diving Contractors."

Like every other loss I do not expect a report from those who claim to out for our safety!

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have lost 4 divers in the last 6 months I know of and NOT one word on what caused any of them? The Sherriff’s officer I talked with yesterday would not tell me anything except "they were still investigating if it was even a dive team" I have know F-ing what that means. We are somewhere around 9 lost since the hurricanes and no reports or lessons learned.
I'm thinking the divers air supply could have been contaminated. At 40ft he wouldn't need a bailout bottle however, I would've had him where one just because of the possible conditions at the bottom. In addition if he was working real hard and had a pre-existing condition that could've caused the problem.
Rodney,
Any diver diving light weight hats regardless of depth must have a bail out bottle.
Carbon Monoxide could be a factor??
Fred, what dive manual is that in? Unless of course we're talking about a confined space. In any event "safety first"!
NOAA, US NAVY, ADCI, and common since.
I brought a dead diver up who ran out of air, ditched hat ( no Bail Out ) could not reach the surface and drowned 18 fsw.
Brought another dead diver up who cut his dive hose, bail out was empty and suffocated in band mask 60 fsw, tender could not pull him up.
GET THE POINT?
roger
i gotta disagree with you on the necessity of the bail out,dude.i have 1 friend and 1work acquaintance who would be diving with us today had they a bail out.c**bersome,i know.i dont like to HAVE to do a breath hold if i dont want to.
Forty fsw in the Chesapeake Bay in latter October in a neoprene wet suit, was it a unisuit or a standard wet suit? be interesting to know what the water temperature was at the recovery site as well as the thickness of the neoprene suit the diver was wearing. Hypothermia may have been a factor in this tragedy.

Was the helmet checked right away to determine if parts were frozen? Or later after the resuscitation efforts had ceased? If the helmet was put aside during the emergency efforts thawing then a mechanical problem may have been missed. Compressor issues? these are all valid questions and concerns to the diving community as a wh***. Something needs to be done to make this information available to the public, especially the divers.
Copied from Divers Froum.

Re: something happened at chelsea pier in NY CITY
Posted by babbar on 11/10/2010, 19:02:04, in reply to "Re: something happened at chelsea pier in NY CITY"

i worked in NY for local 1456 once and i would ask two questions
was he wearing a bailout?
did he have a three man dive team?
and i know the answer its a big NO!

Post a Response

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: something happened at chelsea pier in NY CITY
Posted by bonehead on 11/11/2010, 7:49:06, in reply to "Re: something happened at chelsea pier in NY CITY"

First I want to say that I hope the individual has a speedy recovery and does not have long term problems. With that being said, this has been going on (one man dive crews) in the NYC area for years. I am not saying that this was the case during this incident. Yes, you make a geat hourly rate and good benefits if work enough hours. I have heard that "yes there are three Divers on such and such jobsite". The only problem is that they are all in the water and untrained dockbuilders are keeping on eye on things. Over 10 years ago I was contacted by a company that needed diving, when I stated that we work in three man crews, they said no we just need one Diver. I of course did not do the job. This was over 10 years ago. The only thing the Hall cares about is putting money into their pockets. There are plenty of videos on U-Tube that show a Diver getting into the water and an individual then throwing slack into the water and walking away. If you are working as a one man dive crew, yes you are making a good wage and equipment rental, but it will be no good to you or your family if you are injured or killed.

Post a Response

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from the Union meeting...
Posted by Joseph on 11/10/2010, 19:05:36, in reply to "something happened at chelsea pier in NY CITY"

....the conversation....

no bail out

auto tending

no one on radio/manifold

no stand by diver

equipment was sanitized ASAP before any official investigators arrived.

The Contractor "Reicon Group" standard procedure

I FIND OUT WHO PARTICIPATED IN "SANITIZING THE EQUIPMENT" I WILL POST YOUR NAME'S!

Post a Response
Re: from the Union meeting...
Posted by babbar on 11/10/2010, 19:10:03, in reply to "from the Union meeting..."

i did hear that the equipment was removed.
but look guys something happened here is earl ok?

Post a Response

Posted by comdive75 on 11/10/2010, 20:33:06, in reply to "Re: from the Union meeting..."

Has the industry gotten so bad that making money over all else, including diver safety is what drives us? I can't speak for any of you but maybe it's time people weren't afraid to speak up and suggest a safer way to get the job done.

Post a Response

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by CommDiverPM on 11/11/2010, 2:46:36, in reply to "Re: from the Union meeting..."

First and foremost, Earl is ALIVE! Secondly, A HUGE thanks to Trevor Moore for putting his own life on the line to jump into the water to save Earl's life! As previously stated there was no standby diver equipment or diver. Trevor realized something was wrong and reacted, which is his nature. AGAIN, THANK YOU TREVOR (The TRUE HERO, NOT NYPD) Earl just had his breathing tube removed on Tuesday, but is still in quite a bit of pain and will have a long road to recovery. This was and will continue to be an unfortunate situation until something is done. All this was brought up at the union meeting on Tuesday night, where I had the opportunity along with many others to voice our concerns regarding blatant disregard for OSHA Commercial Diving regulations. Basically our union stated that we must police ourselves, but if we do and we are laid off there is absolutely nothing the union will do to stand behind us, nor prevent another sc**bag individual from making his own sweet deal with said contractor. So what exactly is the UNION doing for me? I thought we were suppose to be the safest and most professional work force! Hell my current shop steward does SCAB work on the weekends and has the nerve to ask me if my union card is up to date? You know who you are SCAB!!!

Post a Response
Condolences to Mr. Copeland's family and friends. And thank you for all of these valid and important replies to this incident. There is so much information that we would need to have to make a fair a****sment of this tragedy. However, all of this "information" is supposed to be accurately and efficiently logged on every dive and dive job. The information should be made to our community inorder to learn from this and therefore minimize the potential of another incident occuring. We all know that in this business anything can happen but I for one believe that if "topside" support had been paying attention especially the "dive supervisor" then this type of incident need not to have occured. I can tell what my divers are "thinking" and how they "feel" just by their breathing and responses to my queries while working even with "loud equipment" like chipping/jack hammers etc. to say nothing of the "gauges" at the dive station and correct placement of the equipment on deck. A supervisor should also be heads up on the diver's personal gear: not only the hat but also gloves,boots and certainly the proper wetsuit ! Good supervision is recognizing that you are also a Mentor to the diver. Safe diving to all.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service