Dive Hat Annual Required Safety Inspections/Certifications Should Dive Companys be required to Pay for their required inspections ????

QUESTION;

Is it fair for divers to have to pay for Company required Annual Dive Hat Inspection / Certifications or should Dive Companys be required to pay for them ? What do you think ?

Divers use to be paid rental fees for the maintenance and repair of their hats well that sure that got swept under the table and forgotten about.

Some wise guys thought up annual dive hat safety inspections and certifications which has a place however it ended up costing the divers money out of their pockets ranging from $300.00 up to about $1,000. a year.

Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ACE, Looks like its all part of doing business today. nobody outside of union divers stood up to keep gear rental. If you don't ask they sure as hell will not offer.
Its like the truck you drive to work you have to pay registration on it every year, so you are allowed to drive it to work.
ANY AND ALL REGISTRATIONS,CERTIFICATIONS ETC. ARE 100%TAX DEDUCTABLE, pay now and get it back at the end of the year. KEEP all your receipts A RECEIPT IS THE SAME AS MONEY when it comes tax time.
Fred I hear you but for my 2 cents I think those who keep adding requirements should be willing to pay for them after all divers are really only just seasonal employees.
Here is yet another example of how y'all let the contractors and ADCI stick it to you. What happened to your gear rental pay?

Back in Nov. 2007 OHSA clarified the law regarding personal protective equipment (PPE) one of the things that came out of that was that employers didn't have to pay gear rental to employees that chose to use their own equipt. Of course they ignored the rule where it says...

"Although it does not address the circ**stances in which "protective equipment, including personal protective equipment (PPE) is necessary or purport to require new types of PPE, the rule does generally require employers to pay for equipment needed to protect employees from chemical, radiation and mechanical hazards that could injure employees. Because employers are required to a****s their workplaces to determine the need for protective equipment, the rule means that employers will now be charged with identifying the equipment that they must pay for. In addition to any initial purchase, the requirement to provide "PPE" "at no cost" also requires employers to pay for replacement PPE, unless the employee has lost or intentionally damaged it." ...

But the contractors and ADCI sure latched on to the part were it says:
"Finally, employers are not required to reimburse employees for their use of protective equipment if the employees voluntarily elect to use their own equipment in lieu of equipment provided by the employer."

I'm betting y'all didn't even realize that you had voluntarily elected to use your own equipment. I recommend y'all read up on 29 CFR 1910, Subpart I. You might want to consider contacting OSHA regarding the industry's failure to provide, maintain, and replace PPE.
Back in the day so to speak,
As a contractor I provided dive helmets, suits and all gear required to put the diver in the water.
all they provided was there long johns and union rule book.
Gear rental rate for union diver was $25.00 per day if I let him use his own gear.
$5.00 if he used his own dive dress.
If I had my gear on site and the diver wanted to use his own he was not paid gear rental.
This was Northern California.About same for Southern California.
The Gulf was a wh*** different set of rules, Cowboy rules- Most companies provided the dive gear. Rat hats, Swindells, and Aquadynes were the order of the day all company owned.
I have to say it does suck to pay for your hat inspection but its your equipment you should take care of it. If your a diver you have your own equipment thats the deal. A mechanic has to take care of his own tools, a carpentor his to. I have to say i think it's good they require hat inspections because i have seen a lot of people not take care of there stuff. I get the argument all the time that divers should take care of there own equipment but atleast half if not more have no idea how to work on there hat nore do they care. dive safe Trevor Heintz
Hey Trevor, I was fixing to call you today! Is my BC ready? WTF? Its been over a month now!

I'm opting out of the hat inspection scheme. I'll be getting my technicians cert. next month, so I can cert. my own hat.
Wow a real diver who has real experience and gets it! Yep a bucket with a scuba regulator and a window plus some cheap speakers.
I like what Bob Wick says "its always amazed him that on commercial dive jobs there are big 5120 air compressors topside with just all kinds of air for a diver to breath and the diver is on the bottom sucking on a scuba regulator" whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!
Ace Parnell says "it's amazing that divers will pay $220 for dive speaker replacements that can be bought and put together for less than $30". Woooooooooooooow! I love being a diver.

'idan
Y'all just aren't being fair about this. Let's face it most divers are only going to buy a limited number of brand new helmets. So the big kahuna had to think up another way to support his lifestyle, living in Santa Barbara isnt cheap.

Hat Inspections and the spare parts sales generated for those inspections are likely the most profitable part of KM. 75% To 80% of the Gross Margin and 25% of Sales Revenues wouldn't surprise me in the least; it would be interesting to see KM's business plan.
KMs business plan= Long slow deep strokes with no reach around.
The real money is always in parts.
Why do think they did away with heavy gear, once a year a $1.50 speaker and maybe a new dress if you ran out of places to patch.
@ Ace i need coms right now .what mic & speakers are you using or recommend.Where do i order from?
for the record I think the yearly insp. is bogus. In principle the diving contractor should insp. the divers hat thru the diving super. down thru the tender who puts the hat on line. If your hat is not working properly & you dont have spares , you look bad . Time is big money as we know especially offshore.Nobody wants to labeled as unreliable or unsafe.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service