Hey all,

I am working for a salvage company in Malaysia, and were currently on a project to remove a wreck in deep in the Borneo jungles. Doesn't pay much but I am determined to do the job well, Attached are some photos of the wreck.

As you can see, there is absolute zero viz down there. and currents can be really strong.
I have tried inspecting the wrecks using standard scuba gear but I cannot go deeper than 3 meters.  Probably with a KMB, more weights, and a shotline I could get to the bottom.

To make matters worse, these ships have been there for so long that the officials have lost all records of the vessel. So we do not know how the ship looks like underwater, and we cannot see it for ourselves either. Also, I do not know the depth, but I will soon.

I am inspecting the wreck again soon and I will be prepared this time.

The reason I wrote this is to find out if anyone else have done salvaging like this, or have any ideas to remove this wreck with a budget of only 30,000 USD.

My best bet is to secure the bow (above water) with either a pontoon or seal it completely.
I plan to use sonar imaging to find out what its like down there, but would it work in zero viz with strong currents?
Once the front is secured, we either plan to refloat the stern or pull it out using a tug boat. It all depends on the state of the vessel underwater.
My team and I also plan to use an airlift to remove whatever silt around the bottom that is causing it to be stuck.

It is relatively close to the riverbank, but previous efforts by other companies to pull it out using a crane barely moved it.

So this is a near impossible task for a small budget company like mine, but again I just gotta do this somehow.

So is there anyone out there with a brilliant idea to get rid of this wreck?

These are my best estimates : Length: 34m, Weight: <150 tons, Depth: 10m

any advice appreciated.

Views: 1599

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Mike.

Really would appreciate it.
I can be in charge of when I'm aware of the situation, so I have to dive and a****s the wh*** thing myself. No Surface Supply Diving Gear Available?
Just curious here, but if its considered wreck removal couldnt yo just cut the thing into smaller peices and take it out in chunks, its not like you need to bring it up wh*** right ?
And some kill and mame members of their crew and sometimes even them selves in the pursuit of chasing the what might look like easy salvage dollars.
Jon what ever you do or dont do just stay safe at this point you have all the information you need to either go forward or pass. Best of luck. With all of that said I am heading back to Hawaii for some R&R and I&I. Please keep us all posted on your project.
its not as easy as it sounds. Zero Vis, and strong currents. and a low budget.
Hey Guys, I inspected the wreck today just on the surface. Didn't dive, bad weather.

We were quite misinformed, this wreck isn't the one in the jungle. Right next to town actually. and after using crude methods to measure the ship, it looks longer than 30m probably closer to 45m.

And it looks like its bent/broken near the bow. Pictures coming up soon, don't have time now.

Flynn, I will reply you in a few days. Sorry mate. Sarawak isn't exactly a well connected place.
If this is an old style Iron hull vessel, you also need to take into consideration the debris and silt built up within the hull and lower decks as well.
hello if your not a commercial diver you should not be working under water i have recovered the bodies of several divers who think they are commercial divers . divers should NEVER work without a shot line safety divers and a full crue of support staff tenders and a hyperbaric chamber operator ,i am a commercial diver and commercial dive supervisor a hyperbaric chamber operator diver medical tec i have ben diving since 1977 and have seen the results of many dive accidents from people without training trying to work under water my advice is get the training or leave working underwater to the pros .
Hello, I hope you are not talking to me, because I am a commercial diver. and I could train a chimpanzee to operate a chamber, so it isn't something to boast about on a serious thread.

I have assembled a dive team of competent, certified and experienced Commercial Divers who are capable of doing what you did since '77 and more.

Didn't I mention I was going to use a shot line?. Did you read every reply here?

For a diving supervisor, I am embarrassed that your spelling and grammar is terrible.

I would like to see you grow up in the jungle and be a commercial diver. I would like to see you look for work in a place like East Malaysia.

I would also like to put you, a self proclaimed "professional" to shame by taking this wreck out with virtually nothing.

Robert Clark, in all your time as a member of cDiver.net (since october 2009), is this is the only contribution you have to the community?

Oh, and one more thing, how the f*** do you know what marine salvage is like?
Whooo Easy guys, Jon before this gets to be a p*****g contest here please realise you did ask for advise on this salvage effort and any ideas all might have-safety is first and foremost. Of course your not going to like all of the comments that come back to you and all are not gifted at writting but they are free of charge to you at this time. My humble bit of advise would be to try some of Parnells skin toughtner simply spray a light coat onto your skin several times a day and just watch the bull s*** slide off its just that easy mate. Now lets get back to getting that salvage done we all need some more stories and entertainment here. Every day you dive is a Good day.

888i is
Yea Jon. don't take it so personally..we are all waiting for some more info on that wreck!This was just some safety advise!
Before, any more smart a**** post irrelevant s*** on here, let me just explain the situation.

This project is contracted to us by the Marine Department of Sarawak, Malaysia. They get their funds from taxes and the federal government.

The Rajang river is the lifeline of this state, to get to the town where the wreck is, you would need 2 hours on a twin-225hp speedboat (20ft). There are no roads there.

The people who live here are indigenous tribes who still hunt for food and live in longhouses.
This wreck is an illegal Vietnamese fishing vessel arrested by the marine police. Long story short, they ran, it sank. and now its causing problems with the passing boats.

The locals need their river to live. The boats send supplies to one another. The main income for the state is timber.

Timber is used to make paper you write on, and the toilet paper you wipe your ignorant a****** with. Did you also know this state is one of the main cultivators of black/white pepper in the world? So next time you spice your steak, think about the people who work for less than a dollar a day for your food to taste better.

You're thinking, where's the money going to then? Google Kuala Lumpur, then Google East Malaysia. They're less than 1000 miles apart, in the same country, yet 1000 light years behind in development.

If you Mr. Clark, were hired to come here and remove this wreck. Not for money or fame, but for the people. You would rather shovel s***. You might know so much about professional diving yet you know nothing of the world, other countries, economics, the South East Asian style of politics. You will not survive the weather, standard of living and with that attitude Sir, you will not have the locals' support.

Sure, they could call Titan salvage, but you would not believe the mobilisation costs alone.

We have done 12 wrecks at a cost of 1. No deaths, No Injuries, No Accidents. Just men who would work for next to nothing but would go the extra 100 miles.

I may have never been born in your country, I might have been the savage kid you see on National Geographic. I still can write and speak better English than you, and also speak 3 other languages. Yet I know of your country, your way of life and the standard of living, how much do you know about the Borneon rainforest and its people?.

So before you patronise me, I dare to say this. I have much more of a passion for diving and the sea compared to you.

If I were to "leave working underwater to the pros" you would be complaining about mosquitoes, the cleanliness of food, the taste of the water and the money.

So here it is Robert Clark, I challenge you to come here to see what its like for yourself. I will personally pick you up from the airport and show you around myself. Then you can judge who is more professional.

ps: please email me if you want to see proof of my team's certifications and experience.
I would also like to see proof of yours.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service