Hey all,

I am working for a salvage company in Malaysia, and were currently on a project to remove a wreck in deep in the Borneo jungles. Doesn't pay much but I am determined to do the job well, Attached are some photos of the wreck.

As you can see, there is absolute zero viz down there. and currents can be really strong.
I have tried inspecting the wrecks using standard scuba gear but I cannot go deeper than 3 meters.  Probably with a KMB, more weights, and a shotline I could get to the bottom.

To make matters worse, these ships have been there for so long that the officials have lost all records of the vessel. So we do not know how the ship looks like underwater, and we cannot see it for ourselves either. Also, I do not know the depth, but I will soon.

I am inspecting the wreck again soon and I will be prepared this time.

The reason I wrote this is to find out if anyone else have done salvaging like this, or have any ideas to remove this wreck with a budget of only 30,000 USD.

My best bet is to secure the bow (above water) with either a pontoon or seal it completely.
I plan to use sonar imaging to find out what its like down there, but would it work in zero viz with strong currents?
Once the front is secured, we either plan to refloat the stern or pull it out using a tug boat. It all depends on the state of the vessel underwater.
My team and I also plan to use an airlift to remove whatever silt around the bottom that is causing it to be stuck.

It is relatively close to the riverbank, but previous efforts by other companies to pull it out using a crane barely moved it.

So this is a near impossible task for a small budget company like mine, but again I just gotta do this somehow.

So is there anyone out there with a brilliant idea to get rid of this wreck?

These are my best estimates : Length: 34m, Weight: <150 tons, Depth: 10m

any advice appreciated.

Views: 1598

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Weight not an issue?, every bit of lift helps, 150 tons??
Sorry, I meant weight is not the problem of getting it out. Just need ideas on methods on how to do it.

Thinking about it again i could fill the exposed part of the hull with tire tubes.

thanks mate.
Not sure about the Hydrogen Bubbles, last year at Caspian Kashagan project ENKA had to remove 20 meters long sheet piles, 12 meters beneath the mud. We tried the method + vibration hammers. didn't help.
As the ship has lost of free space inside it all will be full of mud so any effort to pull it out is headache. I know how difficult is to convince the authorities to sign PTW easiest way for divers full fill task, but try again or tell them F.....off, then they will be more respectfully dealing with your ideas. Do you think they can find the diving company that would agree to do salvage in the jungle for $30 000 ?????
My company is the only one who dared to take up this job, but if we make this work, there are over 50 wrecks lining up to be removed. None of them as tough as this. We do this and were set for 50 really easy removals.
Email me lets talk more onecomdiver@cs.com
Once you have more of the mud on the stern section exposed from the existing mud you might consider rigging up a barge to employ a tidal lift method on the stern section if its still real stubborn.
Yes it is actually wreck removal, but I need a Salvor's advice on how to do it.

The total pay out for the contract (there are 2 wrecks) is USD180k.. but this is on a no cure no pay basis.

30k is only limited to the diving costs, tug/barge rental and misc tools like ropes, chains and hoses.

and remember this is Malaysia, things do not cost alot here.

I am able to stretch the operation costs to 80 if really needed. but my boss is trying to save as much as possible. Were not a big company and we haven't had a salvage/removal job in 6 years.

But we do this right and were set for 50 easy wrecks.
Roger Mike ita a big bucks deal allright. Wonder how fast the current in the river is running ?
Reminds me of a risky one we worked with Resolve down in Venezuela in the channel of Lake Marakabo-we were air lifting mud off of its decks at 60' no vis in swift current and had to tie our air hoses off on the wreck to be able to work. I love being a diver.
Im not sure how fast the current is, but its impossible to swim against it.
could the rivers energy be harnessed with a oversized sea anchor of some description to drag it free of the mud before towing to shore. the biggest problem ur gonig to have is the silt build up inside the hull that boat is one big deadweight. to break the sucstion try draggin a chain along the under side of the hull to loosen it up but i suspect some section are goning to be buried deep into the river bed with that amout of water movement. permits for explosives posing a propblem u say, deep in a jungle? local businesses need it removed? hmmmn. will be plenty of thunderstorms at night in the coming monsoon whos going to notice an extra loud thunderclap late at night.
Good input Matt. Another consideration that will need to be thought out before any lift is finally made is the vessels reaction to the current.
Some things to consider if you get the vessel to the surface with the current running like it is will the vessel flip over and get away from you and sink again to the bottom only this time maybe upside down. Thats one of those oh S*** factors to think about.
Yesterday I suggested considering a barge and perhaps using a tidal lift method of lifting on the stern/aft section that in combination with a tug could give you some positive control however if this vessel starts getting out of balance on one side or another while in all of that current you will really have a barrel of monkeys on your hands. A lot of prior planning will help prevent pis poor results on what ever method you guys end up using. Good luck and Safety first. I love being a diver.
Still looking for the best idea to remove that wreck? so curious how you do it. Please keep me informed of how you solve that mate.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service