I propose that Cdiver has a contest between all the guys that have made their own hats.  Not for the guys who hot-rod out their manufactured rigs, although that could be a sub-category.  I suppose there should be a mask category too.  And to round it out, maybe a widget and gizmo section or so...

Victory comes with the following honors.

Entry into a cheezy hall of fame with pics and stuff,

bragging rights for a year, or longer if we forget to do it on time next year.

A cool title and honorary.... something or other, donated by......... so and so and... what's his face

a plaque put under the winning rig, possibly a mount made for the helmet by that one guy who does that stuff, likely on the mantle, elaborating on its various coolness, neatness or other ness's that may apply.

May be kind of fun.

Individuals who are also existing helmet manufacturers, or work for one, to apply, must build the rig submitted entirely by their own hand and design, without company or other asset or assistance and not be remotely similar to a model they currently in production by them.

May be really really fun actually.

Views: 2247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i like the aquadyne better than the superlite.
I'm concerned that if i use my superflow reg and km side block that i might get sued.It would suck to loose & get sued
Actually there is nobody certified to test or cert a rig like that but the guy who made it, then all you would need is a release, along with specific instructions to the company, your spouse and your lawyer, to not have the unit sent to or tested at dive lab, but another testing facility in the event of an accident..

You'd have big issues if you tried to sell them though.

Lots of supercharged regs out there,
There are NO specific certification requirement{Government] in the USA.

Other Countries Do Have certification{Government] requirement.
The big stickler on any new helmet design you want to sell is if you can get product liability Insurance.
Any body can build a helmet and use it for his own use or death.
You cannot infringe on anothers patent and sell it.
You can modify any helmet to what you want, like sticking a regulator in the face plate of a Desco Air Hat.
Its what the company you work for will allow. and where is the law that it must be tested by any lab?
Thats a gray area rule that came about to increase business for a lab that if it was not testing helmets to meet Navy Standard it was sitting there with nothing to do.
Product Liability Insurance is easily circ**vented by being self insured. You'd be surprised how many companies out there are self insured.

But you have to be extra diligent in making sure that any incidents involving your products are determined to be human error or acts of god, not equipment failures.

To do this make sure that the "experts" investigating the incident have no medical knowledge or background in investigation techniques and try to ensure that the product in question is sent back to your lab for testing after the incident. That way you are in control, see no product liability issues here.

It also helps if information regarding said incidents is not made easily available to lawyers, survivors, or other end product users. Also don't publish any of your equipment test results or flow rates, just slap an offical looking sticker on it from your testing facility. It pa**** so says I. See easy as pie :)

Fair Use and Right of First Sale allow you to do whatever you like with your property, you bought it, you can alter it, destroy it, paint it plaid but in doing so you assume any liability for said changes.

There are no grounds for suit if you are changing it just for your personal use. So long as you legally acquired and own all said products. Sorry but anyone can sue anybody for anything at anytime in this country so not guarantees there.

As for trademark issues, regarding helmet manufacturing, sorry but if it is any of the following a spherical shape, goes on your head, has a faceport over your eyes, an oral-nasal device over your nose/mouth, a regulator in the front, exhaust valves, and/or a sideblock on the right side of the helmet you're in violation of somebody's trademark and you will probably be sued.
Dive Diva wrote and posted;

[SNIP}...As for trademark issues, regarding helmet manufacturing, sorry but if it is any of the following a spherical shape, goes on your head, has a faceport over your eyes, an oral-nasal device over your nose/mouth, a regulator in the front, exhaust valves, and/or a sideblock on the right side of the helmet you're in violation of somebody's trademark and you will probably be sued....{SNIP]

As no one{to my knowledge] has had the resources to follow through to litigate. In my opinion this issue should be brought to the DOJ Antitrust Division as they DO have the resource.

Regards
Before I can let this slide further, there needs to be a better understanding on the differences between a trademark (for ownership of an artistic or licensing intellectual property, not a tangible good) and a design patent (for ownership of specific appearance characteristics of a physical intellectual property that is a tangible good, its' form) and a utility patent ( demonstrating intellectual property ownership of a systems design parameters of an item that is a tangible good, its' function)

Dar!

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service