Part from URL;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

Enforcing rights

The extent to which a trademark owner may prevent unauthorized use of trademarks which are the same as or similar to its trademark depends on various factors such as whether its trademark is registered, the similarity of the trademarks involved, the similarity of the products or services involved, and whether the owner’s trademark is well known.

If a trademark has not been registered, some jurisdictions (especially Common Law countries) offer protection for the business reputation or goodwill which attaches to unregistered trademarks through the tort of passing off.
Passing off may provide a remedy in a scenario where a business has been trading under an unregistered trademark for many years, and a rival business starts using the same or a similar mark.

If a trademark has been registered, then it is much easier for the trademark owner to demonstrate its trademark rights and to enforce these rights through an infringement action. Unauthorized use of a registered trademark need not be intentional in order for infringement to occur,
although damages in an infringement lawsuit will generally be greater if there was an intention to deceive.

For trademarks which are considered to be well known, infringing use may occur where the use occurs in relation to products or services which are not the same as or similar to the products or services in relation to which the owner's mark is registered.

Limits and defenses to claims of infringement

Trademark is subject to various defenses, such as abandonment, limitations on geographic scope, and fair use. In the United States, the fair use defence protects uses that would be otherwise protected by the First Amendment.[13]
Fair use may be asserted on two grounds, either that the alleged infringer is using the mark to describe accurately an aspect of its products, or that the alleged infringer is using the mark to identify
the mark owner. One of the most visible proofs that trademarks provide a limited right in the U.S. comes from the comparative advertising that is seen throughout U.S. media.[14]

An example of the first type is that although Maytag owns the trademark "Whisper Quiet", makers of other products may describe their goods as being "whisper quiet" so long as these competitors are not using the phrase as a trademark.

An example of the second type is that Audi can run advertisements saying that a trade publication has rated an Audi model higher than a BMW model, since they are only using "BMW" to identify the competitor. In a related sense, an auto mechanic can truthfully advertise that he services Cadillacs, and a former Playboy Playmate"">Playmate of the Year can identify herself as such on her website.[15]

Wrongful or groundless threats of infringement

Various jurisdictions have laws which are designed to prevent trademark owners from making wrongful threats of trademark infringement action against other parties. These laws are intended to prevent large or powerful companies from intimidating or harassing smaller companies.

Where one party makes a threat to sue another for trademark infringement, but does not have a genuine basis or intention to carry out that threat, or does not carry out the threat at all within a certain period, the threat may itself become a basis for legal action [16]. In this situation, the party receiving such a threat may seek from the Court, a declaratory judgment; also known as adeclaratory ruling.

From  URL:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1994/ukpga_19940026_en_2#pt1-pb4-l1g21

21 Remedy for groundless threats of infringement proceedings in the UK

(1) Where a person threatens another
with proceedings for infringement of a registered trade mark other than—

(a) the application of the mark to
goods or their packaging,

(b) the importation of goods to which,
or to the packaging of which, the mark has been applied, or

(c) the supply of services under the
mark,
any person aggrieved may bring proceedings
for relief under this section.

(2) The relief which may be applied for is any of the following—

(a) a declaration that the threats are unjustifiable,

(b) an injunction against the continuance of the threats,

(c) damages in respect of any loss he has sustained by the threats; and the plaintiff is entitled to such relief unless the defendant shows that the acts in respect of which proceedings were threatened constitute (or if done would constitute) an infringement of the registered trade mark concerned.

(3) If that is shown by the defendant, the plaintiff is nevertheless entitled to relief if he shows that the registration of the trade mark is invalid or liable to be revoked in a relevant respect.

(4) The mere notification that a trade mark is registered, or that an application for registration has been made, does not constitute a threat of proceedings for the purposes of this section.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks
Why?
Its good info. Some folks have been complaining about companies get a little to crazy over the use of pics of there products and use of trademarked names/phrases.
Correct, now what is required is a "Class Action" Reply!
I'm not sure a class action is the key but maybe it is. I know certain dive hat manufacturers have been accused of bullying on a lot of levels & if the accusation is correct , they should be sued but only by those parties who have been bullied.
We need more hats in the market place .The Divers contribution is to speak out against regs. which prevent new manufacturers from getting started no matter how small they are. In my opinion the cost of a hat is thru the roof. And yes if you are working you will recoup it , but its still a crazy figure. There is almost a monopoly and thats not good for anyone but the leading company. I'm not mentioning names out of respect for cdiver and the offended parties . If I needed a new hat I would make a effort to buy one of the smaller company hats or make my own . I dive a kmb 18 ,when I got into the biz a new one was 1800.00 .I read the 18 is 3300.00 now I honestly don't think it should be more than 1800,00 . That's probably offensive to km but thats the way i feel .
All that is needed is for someone to get a clarification from the US Patent and Trademark Office regarding the differing protections offered by design patents and trademark assignments.

That clarification alone will set any court rulings, summary judgments or other findings out of fact or facet with intellectual property code up for statutory judicial review, ergo, a government sponsored appeal, audit and amendment of finding, to include reversal of any and all previous judgments or awards and investigation by the justice dept regarding multiple fair trade violations, misuse of a judicial processes, illegal acquisitions and allegations of coercion and other culpable crimes to corp and council.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service