NJ Diver Dies On Underwater Job At NY Nuke Plant

BUCHANAN, N.Y. (AP) ―

A diver who was working under 14 feet of water died Monday at the Indian Point nuclear power plant, officials said.

State police said there was no immediate evidence of a crime or an accident, and plant owner Entergy Nuclear said there was no sign of equipment failure.

Lloyd Beare, 45, of Barnegat, N.J., was pulled unconscious from the plant's discharge canal Monday morning when he stopped answering routine communication checks, Entergy said. Resuscitation attempts failed, and he was pronounced dead at Hudson Valley Hospital Center in Cortlandt Manor.

Beare had been preparing for maintenance work on a wall that separates the discharge canal from the Hudson River. The canal is used to send water back to the river after making steam or cooling a reactor.

An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. Entergy said an investigation was under way.

Beare worked for Dryden Diving of Woolwich Township, N.J., which had a contract with Entergy. Dryden referred calls to Entergy.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Views: 548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

damn....sounds like the guy might've had a heart attack or some catastrophic problem that went undetected.....
Ever notice that the first thing reported even before the autopsy or investigation is concluded is that the incident wasn't related to equipment failure?

Or how diver deaths tend to fall into 2 broad categories either they drowned or they had a heart attack, but we never hear about the events that caused them to drown or caused a heart attack?

For instance if something happened to restrict the diver's air supply or to impair the removal of CO2 build up in their helmet the diver would become hypoxic, as the hypoxemia continued the diver would lose consciousness and go into respiratory arrest which would quickly be followed by cardiac arrest, - i.e. a heart attack. Cause of death = heart attack, cause of heart attack ???? investigation either never goes that far or faulty equipment tends to disappears.

I'm not implying that anyone specifically is doing anything wrong. But when an industry polices itself, investigates itself and then surpresses the findings one can't help but wonder about the outcomes.
Roger that, also wonder how many divers back in the day drowned due to the toilet seat latch causing the lid to pop up/off at depth.
Diva also broken necks I know of a DIVER doing a u/w pipeline inspection off Palos Verdes, Ca. using a floating hose his tender was buisy bird watching when a fast moving boat came by and didnt see the floating hose on top of the water . The end result was the diver was dragged thru the kelp and had a broken neck and died. Sometime later in my career I heard more stories of broken necks using the toilet seats.
I hear you Ace, cause and effect are pretty evident in your scenario.

But even today look how many times divers have died, where everything seemed to be going fine, then nothing is heard from the diver, when they get to him diver is unconscious or dead with his helmet off underwater. No explanation and the family never gets closer.
Diva this is very true and not to sound sceptical But I dove a 17 with the suicide latch for many years and yes it has come uncamed many times But i;m a firm bielever that panic is in most cases is the reason the helent gets removed in the first place I'm not dening the fact that in some rare case's the helmet as be removed by other forces IE Jet Sleds and so on but for the most part its due to the diver not thinking about the situation in hand and ditching Remember the old thing of " STOP THINK THEN REACT"
We train our guys here at Chino to take the helmet off underwater then swim to the surface. Then go back down and put the helmet back on and latch it to the neck dam dewatering all the time with free flow.
Builds confidence in themselves that when the s*** happens don't panic.
Remember if theres a fish inside the helmet somethings wrong.
Fish in the helmet isn't so bad, it's the dang little jellyfish that are a pain - literally. :)
I'm hear what you're saying Chuck, but you prove my point when you say you "believe" panic is the primary cause.

The truth is we don't know what happens because while agencies such as the FAA are coming forth publicly with more visible accident investigations and reporting; the USCG, ADC and IMCA have
become increasingly more clandestine and secretive.
Sorry Diva Have to laugh as I also deal with the FAA (But not at your comment!) If you where to remove the USCG from the equation yes I would agree When it comes to the ADC and IMCA all I can say is can you spell 'FOR PROFIT ONLY" That is all they are with out any goverment regulation But we here have to "adhere to thier "STANDARDS" Go figure becuase they say so!
Chuck,
I figured the newbies may not know what you are referring to when you mention "a 17 with the suicide latch" so I figured I'd add a visual for them.

Diva,
I think Chuck was referring to the first generation Superlight neck-dam that had no locking mechanism to secure the handle in the closed position. It only had a raised nub on a brass tab that was screwed in the position where the locking mechanism is in your photo. I also dove an early Superlight like that for many years. It came un-cammed on me on occasion. It was never a concern to me as I know how to put my hat on, and it was still attached to my harness. I remember when DSI started shipping the hats with the safety pin in your photo, too. I was working overseas, and it was SOP for the Singapore crowd to sit down while the other divers hatted you up. I explained I like to put my own hat on, thank you very much, so as to keep in practice of doing it solo, should the need arise.
IMOHO, there is nothing wrong with the 17 neck dam. It does take training and practice to use it properly though. That is our real short coming in this industry. Poor training (I was lucky and trained by guys that knew what they were doing, thanks JR, EB) and insufficient follow up training and practice drills.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service