Hi,

I have been reading alot on this forum and was wondering why so many people have a negative attitude concerning commercial diving.  I mean so many posts that discourage others into becoming a diver.  I think if you really want something and its a passion that comes from your heart, you can make it happen like you want

I'm 33 and in the best shape of my life.  I love the water but for some reason I need more than scuba diving and working underwater just seems awesome!  I make good money with my office job but I dont like it.  I would love working as and inland diver even If I only make half the salary im making now.  I think diving is a lifestyle and my addiction to water, tools, gear, boats, science... have given me an urge to just do it! 

I have been accepted into a school in Canada to go under 3 days of physical exams.  We are 28 that applied and the school will take 12 of us for the 12 months commercial diving program. 

What do you guys think?  Am I living in wonderland?

Thanks!

Alex

Views: 810

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thats what I was talking about by attitude! If you call new students wannbees or whatever you call them then everyone in diving have been wannabees once in their lives. I think that there are a s*** load of frustruated people that cant find work. I'm sure the ''good'' people around here are working and the haters dont and are discouraging everyone!
right on point

I am atending dive school in june and proud of it ready to take the plunge
i have a great attitude in great shape and very optimistic

I will be graduating in October 22, 2010 I have planned this out
i know that i will probalbly not get hired this year becuase of holidays
but maybe in the spring time like everyone is saying that is the best time.

remember this is also about planning and planning your future depends on it

maybe i will be a newbie without work but with a little money saved because
of proper planning
True, there maybe some newly minted divers afraid of competition, but us
'old hands" push at every opportunity for the best prepared, intelligent, candidates to join the industry. Those properly prepared with complimentary skills, highly motivated, underwater craftsmen/women who are in it for the long haul.
It is so disheartening to us who invest the time, energy, care and concern in training to those who aren't willing to devote the study and commitment to a collection of skills that embody a professional.

That is why us 'old school' hands like to run newbies at the fence to see who quits and who has the jam to climb over. Whatever it takes to thin the hurd of wannabees who leap into expensive diving schools with no idea of what commercial diving is.
And that is why we fill these pages with not only urging commitment but how to, what, where, & why. I never want to hear-okay i've finnished dive school cla**** where can i get a diving job? or who is hiring divers offshore? or i live in x-city who is hiring divers? obviously they don't 'get it', don't understand diving and will spend months being angry and feeling shortchanged by not having work and end up fading away in bitterness and feeling ripped off.
Us senior divers have spent years learning our work, and continually are ungrading our skills. Most of us spent 4 or 5 years getting the basics down well enough to earn a reasonable living. Most of us spend additional years finding our area of profficiency, and during the entire time the ongoing instruction of our juniors is a task we undertake to maximize the efficiency of the team. Sometimes culling is required and its done quickly and without backward glances because in this business mistakes are deadly.
If a person is really motivated to become a comm diver, than he/she shouldn't be distracted by the fact that so many new divers enter the market every year. According to sources here the vast majority quits soon. I guess the remaining ones shouldn't find it hard to find jobs in case they have stayed persistant during the first 1-2 years. Or am I mistaken?
great point

hey erik are you a student or thinking about or a commercial diver "seasoned"
Hi Barry. I'm currently at school in Norway. We're halfway through. I joined the conversation because I felt the same way about diving. Honestly I don't know if I am motivated enough. Time after graduation will tell. All I can say I felt an immense urge to do the course because I feel so attracted to being in the water and performing any kind of underwater tasks. Yesterday it was snowing here. We were doing 50 m dives. I had 40 min of inwater deco. I froze my ass off. Visibility was 0. But it didn't matter. I was just happy to have been in the water. Apart from that I enjoy every aspect of the training whether it's the supervising or the tending. Just as long as I'm next to the sea. Once again time will tell if I have what it takes to become a good diver or even stay in the industry but I just had to do this and so far it has made my life complete.
thanks for that Erik

do you have jobs prospects in Norway or abraod
i was just wondering
Well I'm not from Norway unfortunately so I don't speak norwegian which is quite a big minus here. There are some inland companies looking for divers currently and I would be more than happy to start working for them. We'll see how things turn out. I'll just try to make as many contacts as possible and take whatever comes my way.
Alex please reread the sentence in which I used the term wannabees in describing-those "with no idea of what commercial diving is' as opposed to 'the best prepared, intelligent, candidates to join the industry'. .can you see the difference?..... I'm not a hater-I'm a realist, and I encourage those prepared to successfully take on a lifelong career, if I discourage any wannabees I may have saved a life-worth it?
Attitude - will make you or break you. Whats' yours? wannabee or highly motivated? Chest thumper or pound the books. Well considered and researched career or gee-sounds exotic with big bucks. Am I making my point clearer....
the hands that make it in this business and this is a business are the one's that have a full tool box. and the tool box is between your ears.
Divers who are successfull earn it through hard,dangerous work and at the end of the day they are still alive then they have used every tool in the tool box to do it.
Education every day is what keeps you alive and a lot of luck.
considering who is standing on deck , fear never held me back but it sure as hell raised the hair on the back of my neck when I realized who the guy was with his finger in his ass and another up his nose watching the seagulls with a hose drapped under his arm was the Tender.Prepare and learn and earn the truct the maybe, someday you to can be the diver.
No body is going to give you anything, you must earn every damn bit of it.r
Lol! It's not everyone like you that will have to suck cock and take it in the ass as a tender before diving! Lol! You're probably p***** that you have to work at 7/11 right now...i did not know that they (7/11) let you use a computer? I'm surprised that a monkey like you can even use one! You're probably a fat 32 year old that lives at mom's house and dream to one day be able to swim without floaters while playing with your rubber duck in the bath tub! Lolol!
You see it's not only about big s*** attitude like you! It's about social skills, positive attitude, respect and connections also which I can clearly see you dont have. Your just a super pissed frustrated tough guy wanna be that probably love to have a few fingers up your ass while you suck on a few d***s. But that's ok because here in Canada there are not to many like you Neandertalers! I wish I could see how your breed looks in person as I only saw it on the discovery channel. Anthropologists probably dont even know that you can swim! Then again you probably dont know what is an anthropologist! LOOSER!

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service