I would like to hear from some of the most experienced diver what are the most common hazards in the bussiness and how do you deal with dangers at work, proffessional diseases and other health problems wich are typical for divers

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

one of the most common hazards are the diver himself to start off with.
Knowledge and prevention. An overall understanding of the work requirements and execution born of experience and instruction. Health and common sense go together, being physiacally fit and capable of the work and a healthful living regime are required for long term success just as if you were an athlete, high steel worker, or any other participant in physically demanding trade or vocation. Complacency and ignorance kill more than anything else.
You don't have to be "most experienced" to comment on this one lol
I think the most common hazard is being unprepared. That goes for the diver but also for the co-workers involved. How you deal with it? You prep yourself with mandatory and additional courses like; First aid, BOSIET, Diver medic, safety at work etc.
Also, get personal insurance and make sure your contractor or employer has one too.
Health problems; Hernia or "diverback", the "shakes" (pneumatic tools), bad ear infections, diarrhea, DCS, DCI, bone necrosis, obesitas etc

Good luck at school...
Dive mission being Comparmised because of unclear understanding of all of whats going on with the diver. Air hose being run over and cut off by boats, things being dropped on divers, divers air hose getting wrapped up, around and under things as he is working pinning him on the bottom. Air hose fittings bursting while working. Dive helmet neck rings coming undone while diving, Electrical shock when burning or welding because of gloves getting cut, ear squeezes due to diving in heavy swells especially in shallow depths like trying to install a riser clamp, etc. Danger of being crushed inbetween vessel and work due to topside not really aware of exally where the diver is working in shallow areas of a rig or anywhere else. Tenders being casual about holding the dives air hose. Tenders feeding a diver hose when he is trying to climb it in an emergency.
Vessel dragging anchor and dragging diver into heavy kelp or other obstruction keeping him from getting to the surface.
So yesterday what was I worried about, lifting a bardge!.. My umbilacle wound through 10 or so 5000kg lift bags @ 60ft, a rouge lift bag could send me to the surface and pop me. not to mention if it fell it could crush me if under it. Yeah you can manage these dangers and almost eliminate them.. then what, breathing gear equipment failure my main worry, if all else fails I can free leg it to the surface at 60 foot, i'm not a smoker, average fitness and hopefully with a bit of air in the lungs shoulkd make/ I know i would make it.

But what worries me what I can't control are the crocodiles, tiger sharks , Irakanji and box jelly fish stingers.. the main risk. The odd diver gets wacked by a Croc up here a bit.. sometimes survives sometimes not personally, give me a shark attack any day. The ritches breeding grounds in the world for the salty croc are right in my back yard.. although the government has a very active team removing them. Stingers, where you hyper extend, cuts in your wetsuit and overealls they often get you..it's a hospital job.. can kill you. and Sharks.. theres a grave stone at a beach where a divers leg was bitten off and died ..unlucky! there not always hungry like a croc.

On that salvage job we listened to emergency services on the VHF radio, a spear fisherman had drowned on a wreck they were free diving 1 mile away.. Everyone thought how funny farkn idiot free divers shallow water blackout.. I felt bad for the people who knew him, done some course in thailand on free diving, enthuiest! Shore does depend whou you talk to on these things.. Cheers
excuse the gramma
lmao... this is Steve Irwin all over again lol
What's a diverback?
divers back= pain in lower back area... some divers have this problem
Yea, I havn't gotten to the size of the Stinrays we get here he he. R.I.P Steve.
Gramma is excused. Did she fart or something?
Yea Dale I have this book on pearl shell diving that was printed about Australia in 1955 there abouts "The Pearl Seekers" and it depics salt water crocks as up to 25' long and can go 500 miles out to sea. In more than one photo divers are shown with severe cuts under their chin and on their necks. So that means the thing weather a shark or croc had the diver in his mouth.
In careful thought and as much as I have really wanted to do pearl shell diving that my balls just arent that big at least anymore. Yep I said that. Those big crocs scare the hell out of me so do bull sharks. Much respect from me.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service