Building an extension on to a existing stone wharf

First of all one minor difficulty as I see it is the company does not wish to bring in a crane barge of sufficient capacity.

So the two walls 100mtrs long opposing each other are going to be erected at the same time, so that the wall will reach its correct height i.e. level with the old wall then capped and the crane will then be able to stand on the newly erected section.

the original plan was for blocks of 5tons each which go together dry, like Lego. no problem as I saw it..

But the plan has now changed to blocks of 20-21tons each which do not fit together like lego.

The only thing I have come up with at the moment Is to make a form so as to get the blocks aligned,  accuracy is high priority otherwise when arriving to fit the gable end the bottom of the U it will not come together.

Ideas, do you know were I can get any relevant info pics etc.

Steve h

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What else can they do to make it more complicated and difficult for you ?
maybe the next thing will be to cut costs.
we want you to do it skinny dipping.

any way anyone with info ideas would be nice.
steve h
How is the project going?
Well as I write this its 1100am and we have just been blown out again, rain and gale force winds, so hay, no diving today. (Gutted)

After more than 300yrs of British naval presents here in Gibraltar, the sea bed is littered as you can imagine with almost every loose able part from barges to ships parts even some that you would not expect, i.e., the odd boiler or two be they relatively small.
Gang ways, permanent mooring anchors and chains and swivels, some beautifully made, I fear from an era that will never be visited again, reference the quality, as after all this time they still work.

So to the task, we were supposed to survey the bed today for any further obstructions in the area, as the machine has been having a few problems with chain, getting tangled round the bucket and then not being able to lift it aboard the barge etc.
This dive was to be the last before the first layer of hard core is dropped and spread, in preparation for the second layer of cobbles and levelling of before the first of the blocks to be placed.

How we are going about the levelling will be old basics tingle lines and levels etc, then a steel grid on jack’s, which will be adjusted to give the correct height and angle, this will then be measured with a gps system, but I am advised it’s accuracy is not quite up to scratch, as it can be up to 5inches out or more, the tolerance for this job is 1inch over its entire length of 300feet.

Steve h
What about pouring a concrete bed to grade then setting the blocks on top of the bed? As far as the topside grades its best to use a transite to shoot the grade from a reliable referance piont through out the construction
cheers for that but there is no pour
it is not down to me and while its wild and windy out there i have just seen all the hard core arrive so they have aready got their plan so we will do it their way.

steve h
I know I dont need to say it but make Damn sure "Their way" is safe for you and your crew
indeed, safety top of the list, as if its not then i will just walk away.

steve h
Just got some new input the spec’s have changed again the blocks are now 23tons but I have no doubt it could change again as this is the 4 or 5th time it does you head in.
Steve h
the heavy lift frame arrived today.

photo's tomorrow.

steve h

i will load the reast in photo's this tkes to long

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service