hi im a 20 yr old diver whos worked on an abalone farm and I am currently working on a salmon farmbut am really looking to move on to bigger and better things does anyone have any advice on how to make the jump to construction and any help or advice about finding contacts or where to look would be greatly appreciated. Cheers boys

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan, how are ya mate thats not Daniel from elliston is it? b efore I write anything else about getting a civils job . .
Yeah thats good advice, I was just going to say if your in Australia get a night job bar man, bouncer some income to float you week to week then sit around at wait for phone calls from civils companies until you crack a crew full time, even it's good to have a second job working full time for civils crews because theres alot of quiet time when working for smaller companies. Either that or hit Pacific Marine Group up in Townsville, they will snap a diver with your experience up fast. . They pay won't be much better, but the work will be more enjoyable and welcome to black water. Are you part 2/3? Or go to Perth, stay away from Cairns, Brisbane and Darwin theirs f*** all work! And still hit the big operators up they will put a rookie on to save money because the works not rocket science anyway, should just hit every c*** up anyway an email followed by a phone call. Thats just my opinion on it! It can be very tough to get a good job with limited experience some divers get in making coffee but I think most of the time onshore it is about being in the right place at the right time. You can teach a worker how to dive but not a diver to work!
here in west aust, getting on a site requires a few tickets. firstly u will need a construction blue card not sure if applicable to SA but mandatory for WA availible online. $100
An Maritime Security Identification Card MSIC is bloody helpfull is getting jobs when required to work in restricted access ports, its pretty much federal clearance availible online approx 300 smackers.
From there any skills which u take to the front desk of the dive companies ur appling to will be invalueble.. i.e.. hr truck, forklift, dogging and/or rigger, previous deck experience (fishing, workboats).
that is about the baseline requirement for breaking out in west aus additionally a trade or furthure training allways gets noticed.
good luck and be prepared to put in in the time behind the wheel and on the phone chasing work.
champion advice boys that helps heaps at the moment im only aquaculture but ive been living like a hermit and saving hard goin to do part 2 in a month or so thinking about doin it in the wa school and hopefully pick up some contacts thru that and i have a white card which is a wa blu card but applys to every state and fork ticket ive met alot of people who have done civils and theyve said that was the hardest thing moving up to a permanent member of the crew but ive got the drive and am not goin to start out and stop b4 i get where i want to be one last question when lookin for the dive companies would you say to find them just look them up on the net or yellow pages and start hounding them
Yep, yellow pages , web searches and www.longstreath.com has a list of companies

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service