Thinking seriously about going to commercial dive school......

I am currently in the Army as a welder and am getting out very soon. Commercial diving is something that has spiked my interests for many reasons:

It seems like a very demanding and high risk profession.
People have to learn the skills and constantly build upon them every day to make it.
It can take you to some very interesting places.
You can see the world that very few people will ever see.
The pay is good, when there is work.
The work, when there is work, is demanding physically, is very stressful, and calls for highly skilled professionals.

These are basically my top reasons I guess for wanting to go to dive school. I would like some season pros to comment on a few and maybe give me your reasons for joing the field. Also, am thinking about CDA in Florida. Any comments, suggestions?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Views: 434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am no stranger to work... my first job was roofing in the humid temps of Louisiana every summer since I was 12. Man I missed a lot of my summer vacations.....
Most of my best guys Ive hired and trained were millitary. Im an ex Navy diver and though I dont dive anything like the way I was trained in the military. The military guys understand team work. I would hire a military guy over (almost) anyone.
Diving is a challanging and rewarding field. And scary as s*** sometimes! The Ocean Corporation in Houston Texas is another choice for a good school.
I am also thinking about going to school to be a commercial diver. I am thinking about IDI in Charleston, SC because that is where I live. Does anyone have any opinions of them? I was in the Marine Corps for 4 years and I just finished my degree in Civil Engineering, but there are no jobs here. Is there any work right now in diving? I have looked, but I think I'm looking in the wrong places.
nope, I think you've pretty well nailed it work wise.
the problem with divers is most of them are brainwashed ex military who think they are profesional at whatever they do. Don't be a social hack if you persue this. Diving is dangerous because of the stupid a**** just here for glorification and social networking. I can't begin to tell you how i really feel. However I highly suggest you stop working for our rouge government and do somthing productive and honerable in life.
Diving is dangerous things can and do happen fast and at any time even to old pros.
On the Government and honorable life thing attitude I would recommend to you read the book or get the cd of the book by Dr. Phil its called "Self Matters" it will help you and anyone else get a balance towards uplifting your life and to how you live it with true and authentic passion. It will give you the ability to cut thru many of the myths in life others put on us and we are influenced by.
We all get off track and get wires crossed from time to time believe me it will be one of the best investments you have ever made in yourself. Then pass it on brother life is for living your passion..
I have "DREAM" tattooed on my right forearm. It is a reminder to me that life is too short not to go for what you truelly want. Never be affraid to shoot for the stars and f*** failure. Failure is just a learning tool.
????????????
Ironically, I find this statement complimenting and disrespecting at the same time. If people did not ever do anything for our government, we would be no better off than the rest of the third world countries. Look at the crime in Mexico if you need an example. Also, about ex military thinnking they are professional at whatever they do; completely a farce. I among a lot of the other people I have served with understand the realization of coming out of the military and transitioning to civilian world is not just like stepping up the ladder. I have learned a lot through my military experience, but at the same time I do not know if I have the skills necesary to step into a decent paying job civilian wise. One thing I do know for sure is that I need schooling to back up what the Army has given me. And I do believe that exmilitary are more professional. We have been "brainwashed" or taught how to do certain things: take care of our equipment, always keep safety in mind, and to show up on time or at least call before being late. We can't just call in to work sick one day, we actually have to show up at 0600 to see one of the medics, and they can tell us whether or not we need to go to work that day.

"ddddddddd" It sounds like to me some "exmilitary" person showed up and took the promotion that you were supposed to get. Maybe you should do some self examination before you just jump on all exmilitary.

Enough said.

Morgan

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service