some of the vids show the guys with she bailout upside down wondering what pros and cons are of up vs down

Views: 2670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i've seen it happen, it's never been me in those situations :)
and then your hose goes when you realy need it!!! surely you should dive with it open and abort the dive if it goes whils you still have main air? at the end if the day if you lose your bailout gas the dive is over anyway.
Presently dive a Gorski and the bailout is upside down for a positive ability to reach my tank valve handle, this way I can and do check to see if its really in the off mode during my dive. This is not a area for guess work.
Valve DVvv
There is no point in easy opening of the valve. If primary supply is lost, other difficulties can/will occur at the same time. So diver should not have to open the bailout valve, it should already be open and only aux valve on helmet should be opened. For the case of a reg failure there are bleed valves available. It comes down to a risk of damage to the helmet in case of valve up. However, there is a slight possibility that on jumping something might come in the way and damage the valve, if it is down. My vote is for valve up.
kudos
I know what you mean. I'm new at this, but in school the dumb s***s turned off my air THREE times 'cause I was getting better times with my projects than them. Damn instructor didn't do a damn thing about it. Just from a ROOKIE, but I say do what you are use to. that way you're reaching the right direction, and not searching for the valve. Bottle on, Hat off.
Hi Flynn ;)

Thanks!!
I have always dived bail out up, on at cylinder and off at helmet!
When diving on open circurt, with twin cylinders i find it easer to invert the cylinders, better access to do shut downs, what ever works for you?
I am an inland diver/supe. from s. Florida. We dive alot of culvert pipes here and I see the most common argument is- bottle on or bottle off? I charge the whip, check pressure, turn off the bottle and turn on the hat. There are more thing to go wrong with the bottle on. besides the possative pressure from the hat keeps the first stage dry. seen bottles drained even filled w/ water during long jobs. have used my bail out 3 times in culvert pipe ( once I was 680' in 36" ) no way in hell is anybody going to convince me to leave the bottle on unless I am diving serwer or concrete. however, I allow other divers to choose.

As for right side up............. common, really?
As for diving in pipes a bail out is a must. what Ive seen is the guys are in and out of the water driving from one site to the next. There gear gets thrown into the back of the truck over and over again. Sometimes we dive as many as 20 pipes a day. those "o" ring can only take so much abuse. Not to mention we get alot of guys who dont check there gear properly. That is why I charge my whip first. Any "0" ring problems will be seen. Running my jobs I dont let my guys skimp with the gear. Seen to many "almost". However, I understand the goods and bad with both and will always let my guys choose.

still.................right side up???...........what if you need to turn on or off your bottle..............or look up??? kinda hard with a first stage up you hats @$#
Hey Shawn very good piont and info based from experiance. a tecknic Ive used in the past for penitration is to D-ring the bottle between your legs with a longer whip, if clearance is going to be an issue. BUT IF IT CANT BE DONE WITH A BAILOUT DONT DO THE JOB!!!!! and you know me well and Im a firm believer if you have a hat on your going to have a bailout one. All my guys are required a bail out bottle every dive no exeptions, As far as up or down Ive dove both ways and as you stated if you comfertable with it go with it, but I do think that on the job site everyone should have a standerdized config on a safety stand piont IE.... fittings on the whip Standby have to jump and not familer with the configeration of the diver equip and so forth just. my 2 cents worth

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service