Today in class we were discussing the different types of dive knives and their uses. Of course there were lots of personal opinions concerning this subject and so I thought I would put it out there to the working diver and find out what you preferred. What works best out there? Fixed blade, folding blade... etc. What are the pro's and con's? What are your recommendations? I've heard that a lot of guys are using the Spydercos and the Green Rivers.

Views: 1927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Borrow the tender's new knife whenever possible...he already lost yours.
The green river is the only way to go and no were near as expensive as spydercos
Iv'e been using the spyderco yellow salt knife for some years now and like the serrated ones although a non serrated is easier to sharpen. A few old buddies from my North sea days swear by the green rivers though and I finally bought one to try it out. The thing I don't like about the spyders is that they are a bit smaller and have a folding blade. they are pretty easy to open in warm water but I am mostly in cold water with big gloves/mitts on and I like the green river's easy access and sheath with the b***ie cord attachment setup. We'll see what happens over then next year or so. I will probably use the green river and have my handy spyderco clipped to my umbilical for backup. (plus on in my pocket while topside)
cheap knife that holds a sharp edge, easy to get to and one you wont lose sleep over if it doesn't come to the surface with you.
Another vote for spiderco H1... no s***, it will not rust. I've tried.
green river ........
i'm wearing 3 finger 5mm thick gloves can't use a folding knife.
depends on the job... green river knives get easy sucked up by a pump or airlift without noticing in zero viz, so I take a cheap kitchen devil or breadknife in a metal or rubber tube with me. For any other job a green river or victorinox (same as green river). Spydercos look like excellent tender knives, can't imagine folding one open with one hand wearing thick neoprene gloves. On deck I still prefer a green river and leatherman charge
kitchin devil... cuts through anything, stuff it in a length or air bagging. when you trash it cutting out a net from a trawlers prop, just deep six it and buy another...
Someone suggested going to a steak house for dinner and liberating the knives. Good meal, decent cutting blade, respectable price.
I like a good folding knife when burning. Sometimes that last little nub of broco rod can be stubbern to pull out of the collet especially with thick gloves on here in the Pacific Northwest. You can use a folding blade for leverage. Just use the blade and body to clamp down on the rod and yank it out.
green river in the water
one letter, one word

K Bar

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service