I am interested in pursuing a career in commercial/scientific diving. I have always enjoyed fast paced, labor intensive work and I also enjoy recreational diving. Spending my summers in highschool working for a construction company building foundations and working for a precast concrete company has developed a strong work ethic. Jobs that present challenges from day to day and that demand quick thinking has always appealed to me. Commercial diving seems like a career I would persevere in.

Three years ago I was enrolled in the Commercial Diving Academy but was unable to attend because of an unfortunate accident at work. I was working for Binghamton Precast and Supply when a four ton sound barrier crushed my left hand (luckily not my dominant hand). My left ring finger had to be amputated at the second knuckle and I am expecting another surgery to help improve my range of motion. I do not expect this to have an effect my ability to perform as a commercial diver. Do you think that my injury will hinder my ability to work as a commercial diver? I decided to use my recovery time to go to school; though I have returned to work at Binghamton Precast and Supply, part time, doing the same hands-on jobs. I have completed my A.A.S. in Civil Engineering Technology at Broome Community College and was wondering about further schooling. First, I am planning to attend Stony Brook University and complete my bachelors degree in civil engineering and a bachelors in marine science. After completeing college I plan to go to the Commercial Diving Academy in Jacksonville, Florida. Do you think civil engineering and marine science are the best degrees to pursue in relation to commercial/scientific diving?

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

if an 18 yr old idiot from high school can grad dive school, be a tender and breakout as a commercial diver, you'll be fine.
NO JOSH!!! Ahhh now your screwed... one thing to be a smartass with Ethan or myself, but your not even a tender and no dive school yet, so dont piss off future workmates or empolyers. Erase the above commentand it never happened, lucky no one is usually on this early!!
i guess i'm good then, thanks
Um, Josh. Can I call ya Josh? Walk with me talk with me. You see, people round here they dont really take a shine to us... intelectual tpyes. And if you keep making posts that read more like a thesis final or an autobiography on the Love Connection you're going to wind up like me and have a lot of enemies. Try to keep is simple. Dont go on and on about Civil Engineering Technology at Blah blah Community College or use impossible medical terms like Amputated. Commercial Divers fear what they do not understand and as a result can become highly unpredictible and violent. I wouldnt want to see you lose anymore didgets. From now on when you want to communicate with these people simply jump around and make loud grunting noises. The best way to have communicated your last post would have been to point at your missing finger's empty spot on your hand, then point at one of the primitive divers wearing a KM superlite 17 and then shrugged your shoulders (shrugging is how they know its in the form of a question) Dont go around trying to make a fire either. Toby (the villiage war chief) thinks he ownes all fire and will kill you. Doug and Adam are the two villiage elders. Doug is more stoic and keeps to himself when he's not imparting wisdom. Adam is more approchable. Usually offerings of fruit flavored lip stick will get you an audience with him. Dont challenge him to a fight though. He's a master of Ju Jitsu. We'll finish the introductions later right now I have a date with Liz over at her hut. Stay away from Liz, I'll eat your face...
And welcome to the community Josh!
2 words Mr Intellectual- spell check! LOL
hellooooooo its call irony. :)
R I G H T.... good cover up, no one will ever suspect ;)
Hey, I dnot hvae to denfed mylsef to you or anynoe esle! I did good in skoul. I talk good and my spleling is the most best.
Yup, yous dun did gots a edumakayshun!

But if your going to be a smartass and claim the title intellectual, have better follow thru... the potential is there!
Josh, watch out for this one too. *points at Sarah* she's a real CrAzY #$%@ hahahahaha luv ya Sarah
Hmm the usual retort given by those lacking, try to demean your antagonist by name calling! Works like a charm everytime.
I hope you're taking notes Josh, because what I did there was some really advanced stuff. You see Sarah is what I like to refer to as eye candy. Sure she can hold an ok conversation but mostly she's just cool to be seen with. What Ive done is lull her into a false sense of victory. She likes to feel in charge so if you play the I got the last word game with her she'll take her curvaciousness to someone elses camp. Its a tricky move and if you go too far you'll come across as weak and she doesnt like that either. Its a delecate balance. :)

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service