Hello all-

I am the Project Manager in charge of running cDiver.net.  We are wanting to write an article about any crazy/cool/close call diving stories and thought we'd open it up to all of your who may have had a story covering this topic. 

So if any of you have a crazy/cool/close call diving story or have a buddy that has had one, please if you could find a minute or two, post it here with as much detail as you can.  Who knows it might make the cut and you might find your story on our homepage!  Even if you don't though, it's always fun to share interesting stories with other divers.

Thanks everyone, we really do appreciate it!

John

Views: 1066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Learnt about checking your dive gear throughly very early in my dive career. Took an air/mixed gas/air saturation course in the late 70's at Commercial Diving Center. Well like usually they turn off your air sometime during the course, go on bailout etc.
I was in the air sat part of the course, when they shut off my air. Went to turn on the bailout and before i got it opened at all the knob fell off the hat and down to the sea bed. So here I am with no air and no bailout. Dive supervisotr is saying, turn on your bailout. Can't say any thing since as soon as i say one word the air is exhausting out of the hat and it is filling with water.
Ended up holding my breath, swimming like hell to get back to the bell. Had to take another breath on the way back so had to tilt my head back to get 1 last breath out of the hat. Managed to get to the bell, stuck my head in the bell and pulled on the bottom of the neck dam seal to get the water out and some air into it. Well when I stuck my head in the bell it was in an upright position, so the water was pass my nose, but just under my eyes. I can still see my bell partners face, when he seen the water inside the hat and up pass my nose.
Laugh about it know, but it was a pretty close call.

Hi John,

This little message to tell you that I'm back here on this forum with a new profile.

Couldn't get connected anymore with the old one.

Also to inform you that I'm now retired from a long career in the diving business, which means that I will have time to translate the diving stories from my blog.http://papyone.over-blog.com

If you want you can now already find the first of four articles which is called "Tarasco or the story of an underwater weld"

Don't be afraid, I will also write some of the small stories here on this site ;0))

Papy One

Mom & Pops story here....

No s***, there I was. Newark Port Authority, pre 911. 300" some odd feet up a 400' cement tunnel. Hoggin mud, hypodermic needles, maxipads, condoms etc. I need to backstep here...

The other "diver" was a new guy. Brother-in-law to my foremen. This guy was  the size of an Ox. Man, we were going to knock out this job in no time. The guy was so claustro, he couldn't even get in the hat. No s***, all me AGAIN.

Middle of shift I notice this guy is rummy, and it is the middle of the night and he's sitting next to the diesel pump with ear muffs on... Foreman is gone. I shimmy down the 6" pipe and finally reach the end which was a 20' section of flexable hose. "Make it hot" and I start hoggin mud and about 20 munutes later I hit the flat cement wall and both of my hands get pinched to the wall and the hose sucked up like a slinky. Make it cold. make it cold, make it cold...... Make it cold make it cold, Dude, make it cold, make it cold. Couldn't hear me. Lol.

I reached the trash rack the next day, one day early. Broke down the station, no emergency air! No filters in canisters. I learned from this job, and spent all my penetration $ on my own gear. I'm still alive, and will never forget that job that seemed to go on forever. I was just happy to be alive. Now I can laugh.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service