Hello everyone, I am new to this site and new to this type of work.  I have done my research and I am still convinced I want to get into commercial diving.  I have about 18000 saved up and qualify for financial aid if needed.  I have narrowed my schools down to 4 and was wondering if you all could help me decide what ones to go visit next month.  I also noticed that some offer certain certificates.  what certificates would you recommend right out of dive school so I can work anywhere in the world.  The schools I chose are Holland College in Prince Edward Island in Canada, Commercial Diving Academy (you know where it is), Commercial diving institute In Seattle, WA and the last one is the dive school at Louisiana Tech (Morgan City).

Thank you for your help.  

Views: 3926

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lincoln? No those guys don't show you the trade you will do out in the field.. 
1. Missouri Welding Institute

2. Hobart

3. Tulsa. ( but I really don't recommend since it's just like CDA for divers. A welders mill.

Look up MWI.com... You'll learn stick and tig mostly (what you will do out in shutdowns and nukes) I could go back to diving (tending) but I'm in the UA now as a pipe welder making more an hour than diver II did offshore and I work somewhat close to home and 60hrs a week.

Jmayo.  thanks for the info.  im going to look into this. do you enjoy welding?  Do you work with semi intelligent people in the field?  is it possible to land a career being a welder or do the majority if welders jump around like commercial divers?

Sometimes you have to chose between paying bills and enjoying the sea... (or the inland waters) Sometimes you just take a break! Others you just go where the money is better....

I know it'll be hard work. And I don't mind that in the least bit. I don't care what it takes. I just want to be a diver and I will work my ass off to be one. And I love the fact that CDA has daily morning pt. I really think that's an awesome idea which is another thing that attracted me there a bit more. I just want to know what school I can get the most out of to get a step up and then work my ass off in the field to prove myself and be able to know what I'm doing for the most part.
Dcbc is an ICMA cert. Which is an international certification. You also get more certs from CDA than your dive stuff, and also you have the option to cross train in topside welding if you want to put in the time.
And you might get shot down for your twic card because of your citizenship. My buddy got shot down for his because he's a American with brittish citizenship

Why would You get a DCBA? At $30,000.00 no-less.

When the PSA and NLIA is available. And at 1/2 the cost.

You could purchase diving equipment and you still would be under $30,000.00

You send a copy your PSA or NLIA  to ADC with their fee and You receive an ADC card if You collect cards, as it is WORTHLESS outside the USA.

It is a no brainier!

No idea. He was in the army for 4 years and I've seen his honorable discharge. Anyways you're actually wrong. Companies want to get the most from you, just becase you're hired as a tender that does not mean that's all you're going to be doing. But then again, what the f*** do I know.
I've never heard of a American diver with international certs. Although as long as a sanctioning body may recognize international certs, then all you have to do is apply and pay, and could possibly get their equivalent cert. If that makes sense, but from what I understand a lot of European sanctions wont recognize American certs like acd but I'm an ICMA, ADC, ACDE diver.. just applied and got ADC card. Was originally DCBC. And if you're not a fan of crude or smartassed humor... might want to rethink your career choice.
Why not get your hse and work in the channel?
Cda gives you DCBC. that's an ICMA cert. As for the rest of your questions I don't know, do some digging is honestly all I can tell you.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service