How I checkout A Broco 22 burning Torch and why I am posting this!

1) Because Broco Hand out has no procedure on how to check for leaks between the handles and past the trigger assembly. It can leak and build up between the handles.

2) Their Product Brake down drawing of the torch on their web page doesn’t depict the Broco 22 as it is today. It depicts it before modification in 1995. A part that was added and requires a cretin ft pounds is not there. It is in the drawing I provide in the PDF on Checking the Broco 22 torch.

3) There have been several Broco Torches either burn up between the handles and at least one has blown up in a divers hand while in operation. Broco feels that they don’t have to provide any information. They feel it is a common problem to all burning torches. I believe it is not.

Commercial Diver Sustains Third Degree Burns to Hand: Settlement $1.9 Million A 40 year old commercial saturation diver sustained third degree burns when a Broco, Inc. BR-22 burning torch malfunctioned while the diver was attempting to burn a jacket leg at a depth of 234 feet in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana. Following the malfunction the diver struggled to return to the diving bell and underwent four days decompression in the vessel’s saturation system prior to being evacuated to the burn unit. At the time of the incident, Mr. Rosenbaum was assigned to the Cal-Dive International DSV (diver support vessel) CALDIVER II. In addition to his burns, the diver sustained minor Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He is permanently disqualified from continuing his career as a commercial diver.

Investigation revealed that the diver, a 16 year veteran in commercial diving, properly used the torch, and was not at fault.
Suit was filed in the United States Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. The diver filed his cause of action against his employer, Cal-Dive International, under the Jones Act; he further presented his claim against Cal-Dive International which owned and operated the CALDIVER II under the General Maritime Law for un-seaworthiness. Cal-Dive International filed a third party claim against Broco, Inc. under Louisiana Products Liability Law alleging that the torch was defective.

At the time of the incident Mr. Rosenbaum was earning $625 per day in saturation, as well as receiving employee health insurance and pension benefits.
At mediation, and with the assistance of the magistrate at the District Court, Cal- Dive International and Broco, Inc. settled with Mr. Rosenbaum at for $1.9 million dollars. Broco, Inc. agreed to fund half the settlement in consideration for Mr. Rosenbaum’s not instituting litigation against Broco. Cal-Dive International tried its case against Broco, Inc. At trial the jury was a****sed equal liability to each defendant in connection with the incident.

Anthony Rosenbaum versus Cal Dive International, Inc. CA No. 04-3274, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.

Tony Rosenbaum....Cal dive…..injury....8-2004 Since Toney’s injury at least two other divers where seriously injuries and one died burning with a Broco Torch. There was no serious consideration that the torches may have contributed to the problem. I believe there should have been,

Chris Johnson...Veolia. injury.....11-2008

Ian Buchan--Veolia..injury...8-2009

Chris Hollifield.....Death...Veolia....7-2010

Below is Broco Statement Letter after the Rosenbaum case was settled.

“BROCO STATEMENT

To Our Valued Customers and Friends:
As you may be aware, a lawsuit was filed against Broco last year. A diver suffered an
injury to his hand during a cutting operation in the Gulf using a Broco BR-22 cutting
torch. The suit went to trial this year in U.S. District Court. In the trial the Federal judge
dismissed all claims of a design defect or a failure to warn. To restate, there was no
finding of a defect in the torch’s design and there is no product recall. The result of the
trial was that the jury found the diver and the diving service company primarily at fault
and Broco only partially at fault for a manufacturing defect; Broco is appealing that
finding. Broco stands behind our products and our over 30 year history of serving the
diving community. Broco continues to pursue product improvements and research in
order that we can offer the safest and best equipment to the diving industry. Please
contact us directly if we can be of any assistance or provide additional information.
IMPORTANT SAFETY WARNING: All users of the cutting torch should be reminded
to 1) read and understand the Broco underwater cutting instruction manual, and 2) ensure
that the collet nut is always securely tightened to maintain a solid electrical contact
between the cutting rod and collet. This warning results from reports that a loose
connection between the cutting rod and collet may cause arcing or heating at the collet
under electrical load and may lead to the possibility of a flashback in the torch.

Sincerely,
Rick Ferry, President
Gary Maines, Vice President, Email: gmaines@brocoinc.com
Broco, Inc.
10868 Bell Court
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Phone 909-483-3222
Fax 909-483-3233”

The PDF on checking a Broco 22 is how I check it, if I have to use it. I recommend you call BROCO and ask them! John Carl Roat.

Views: 264

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A plus John thank you for bringing this safety material forward for everyone to read and be aware of.

Very good info.  Thanx Mr. Roat  

To all you young pups.  Check that flash arrestor often.  I was on a job with a mom and pop company that got lucky after the hurricanes, and started doing offshore work.  When I checked out the torch, the monel screen was missing.  I called the project manager and told him to get us some asap.  His response was "we don't use them, they get clogged up and you don't get good o2 flow"  I stood my ground and told him we would not be doing any burning until we had the proper parts.  

I've also seen many times people wrapping electrical tape around the handle.  This is poor practice and does nothing advantageous,  Don't do it!

Last job I was on we had a problem with the cable lug.  So I told the guys to put a new torch on and I'll service the old one and keep it as a back up.  When I pulled the handle apart, I was filled with 111 !  

I suspect that when bad things happen it is because of "creative" people doing "improvements" and "modifying" the product.  This is poor practice.  Don't do it!

Broco is coming out with new torch design.  It looks more rugged.  I'm not sure if they are phasing out the BR 22.  They said it should be available this summer.  I'm sure I'll get a chance to use one.  I never liked the trigger on the BR 22, a bit clumsy for doing surgery.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service