I've been diving the Kirby Morgan 77 REX in the Gulf of Mexico for a few years now. Everyone I dive for say the hat breaths way too loud. Communication isn't compromised, but each inhalation creates a deafening hiss for the supervisor that may cause them to turn the volume down which may make verbal comms distant. As the diver it is a little loud in the hat but not as much a free flow hat. I've heard of many remedies for this. Remedies being alterations made to the hat that may help. However I'm wondering if anyone has tried these and noticed a difference. Seriously considering trying to sell this piece of junk back for a km37. One remedy I've heard of is lining the inside with neoprene. what glue would you use? is it worth it? .. hmm another? the new oral nasal .. it boasts a higher position of the comm modual.. would this help? I'm also considering changing out the Rex regulator pod with good ol' superflow.ie, question being, is the regulator the problem? Or do I just not have the rex adjusted right? Breaths good for me.. just to loud for the hat. btw.. this is a first generation 77, meaning it still has the cast steel finish. heard these have had problems.. but what problems exactly I don't know. I've even tried covering the mic with a foam cover like a singing mic. this doesn't help either..I would really like some suggestions from someone that owns or has dived the hat. especially if they have made some alterations of their own. I realize how careful you should be with alterations. and its a shame that such an esteemed company would let this kind of result slide. but as divers we make it work right?

Views: 1257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a good trick I learned from Paul Tedder.  Buy a "noise canceling" mic made buy Electrovoice.  You can get these from Divers Supply in Gretna.  Mount it in a Gatorade bottle cap so it will fit in the oral nasal. Drill small h***s to accomodate the wires.  Use silicone glue around the sides, not the back.  Wire it like normal.  Great sound, no excess noise, last longer, and cheaper.  When you take your hat in for inspection, put the old KMDSI mic back in it.  

KMDSI is aware of the problem and had been working on a solution.  Check with them or DiveLab to see if they came up with an "approved" fix.  Keep your Rex, it's the best performing reg. on the market.

Great reply.. its worth a shot, I'll try it out.

Alright I gave it a shot. It works great.

went into Diver's supply and asked for a noise canceling mic for the KM 77. At first they tried to sell me the new mic they are trying sell. It's a little more expensive, it's the same size that fits the oral nasal, it has fewer h***s, but it also doesn't sound any better than the regular mic. actually in my experience it's worse.

So I asked for any other options. that's when they showed me the Noise canceling mic that normally goes in the Miller.(another metal hat that can have great comms. ) It feature two mics back to back . Genius. it works great. I bought that mic, and a flapper valve ring minus the rubber flapper, that goes into the oral nasal. I got some wire and shrink wrap and eye fasteners. set it up to work with the comm module. and glued the mic carefully to the flapper valve ring.(make sure the 732 glue is completely filling the gaps, you don't want air to flow through.)  

presto.

I tried it out. while I can't say it sounded better than most fiberglass hats I heard. It definatly sounded the same for most, and better than some.

Yes, you are right. It depends on the person. However you can not argue that clear commuication that doesn't require any repeat commands is paramount.

The Correct Link is URL:

http://new.oceantechnologysystems.com/km-ema.htm

Using a patented, piezoelectric design, OTS has designed and built replacement microphones for the Kirby-Morgan helmet and bandmasks that outlasts mylar or paper earphones.

Due to their unique properties, OTS earphones and microphones must be used as a set and can not be mixed with Kirby Morgan or other ear or microphones.

These earphone and microphones are waterproof, rustproof, and floodable. They are easily installed and maintained. See below for ordering information.

Superlite 17 A/B Helmet
Kirby Morgan 18 A/B & 28 Band Mask
Superlite 27 Helmet
Kirby Morgan 37, 47 & 57 Helmets
Description
KM Part No.
OTS Part No.
KM Part No.
OTS Part No.
Earphone, Right
515-005
910366-000