Diver gets umbilical fouled, has to cut it.

Rating:
  • Currently 0/5 stars.

Views: 1710

Favorite of 1 person

Comment

You need to be a member of cDiver.net to add comments!

Join cDiver.net

Comment by marc MAURET on July 8, 2011 at 1:24am
this operation had to be done as an exercice .don't think it was real . there is no way you could feed your diving hose through a small lifting strope without knowing it or seeing it ( since the visibility is top ) . Plus the diving hose had to go through this lifting strope  ( or padeye ) in a double pattern . There is no other way : at one of the hose , the diver  , at the other end the bell or surface tender .As Jerry Babin said :"this knot could had been undone in 2 seconds. But the overall picture appears like a good try . Marc. M .
Comment by benjmin gilbert on April 7, 2011 at 8:10pm
i know I am just a rec diver as of yet but wouldnt it make more sence to just trace the line back and un fubar it and just take a longer decompression time maybe I dont know just seems like its not like your going to run out of air your just going to have to take a long decompression time
Comment by Jerry Babin on May 12, 2010 at 7:46pm
The stand by diver must (Knot) understand (Knots) either, this knot could have been undone in less time than this guy took to cut it!
Comment by Jerry Babin on May 12, 2010 at 7:39pm
Swam thru his own line one time too many. PAy attention newbies....
Comment by Jerry Babin on May 12, 2010 at 7:38pm
had he cut it at the concrete, he would have made better progress.
Heres a hint..send down the burning rig dummy>>>LOL
GOt a chainsaw, and they send him a piano wire. The Supervisor should have paid for this muck up! Then the diver for running so much hose thru it!!
Comment by JOEY C. SEGOVIA on March 18, 2010 at 6:50am
The lesson(s) learned regarding this incident for the diving professional and the aspiring to be diving professional is/are multi faceted: 1) Don't wait too long to ask for help if you are in a bind, odd things happen on bottom sometimes to even the most experienced divers. 2) There SHOULD always be a chamber on deck so the diver and the standby diver may actually have had more time to figure out the "foul" in the umbilical up to a point; extended chamber time is always an option. 3)On any commercial dive spread burning gear SHOULD always be available.
CASE CLOSED. 4)The standby diver SHOULD always follow the main diver's umbilical to assist him/her, the hose in this case was obviously looped through itself, the standby should have been able to assist with the loop as visibility was excellent. 5) A standby diver sent down to assist in a fouled umbilical situation should always have a sharp knife,small crescent wrench,
and side cutter pliers. 6) Always remember that topside assistance i.e. proper tending of the diver's umbilical is invaluable to the diver as it keeps him/her oriented to the work and the worksite, a diver and the tender can feel when the umbilical is not "right". Continued safe diving
to all.
Comment by Amr Fathalla on March 16, 2010 at 5:08pm
Mapy the diver is a****** s*** stupid one but the Big mistaken man was on the supervisor :
first it was his fault for not recognize and keeping up the diver steps, action, situation immediately and second for not responging fast enough and the thierd one was for not acting and taking many solution for solving the situation didn't thay have any tools any other options.... just cutting the Umbilical will solve the problem? Deep s*** man
Comment by Nathan L. Rock on March 11, 2010 at 12:28pm
Hey Sean and Thomas - hopefully you're never in a situation that they didn't teach YOU in dive school. I don't think they were idiots - rather I'll commend the Divers and the Super for being so calm under pressure. Obviously this didn't take place yesterday and these are the mistakes that all of us have the advantage of learning from.
Comment by Skylar on March 11, 2010 at 11:19am
up on divers slack, follow your hose back...
Comment by liz vazz on March 11, 2010 at 9:51am
I think the diver wanted to cut his umbilical , Because he would rather die down there then face the others topside lol .

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service