Does anyone have any encouragment for 37 year old who would like to stand amoungst the ranks of the worlds toughest and hardest workers.I've been a certified rescue diver since 1992 and have spent the last 20 years heavy commercial constructon i.e iron,concrete,timbers with a perfect safty record (well kind of), I am fully aware of dangers of a gnarly job site.Though we do have plenty of air to breath topside. My industry in NorCal has dried up and am thinking that this might be the last chance to chase a dream that I've had since I was a little kid.The odds are against guys like me,but I have trouble with the word can't.A couple words from somebody who has walked a mile in "TOO OLD ASS" shoes would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Views: 285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, like everymans dream it deserves consideration. I have known divers that had quit the industry and made strong come-backs. I have known a few of your age, and less world experience to make a go of it. The current economic times make it an ideal occassion for retraining, all industry is slow-especially diving. If you have the where-with-all to take the time and bear the expense give 'er. You can always blame me if it all goes pear shaped, and need somebody to blame-but you don't sound like the type.
Your the kind of guy we need in this industry a man with a construction background now go get a cheap commercial dive school diploma and come see us. Most guys today have all kinds of paper diploma certs and no real skills and cant build or fix anything poor guys dont know how to work.
I am 40 in a week and a half been doin this for seven years graduated at 32 and I know some 60 and seventy year old cats still puttin on the hat!
And hell most of em would put us all to shame. I am diving up in NC in 42 degree water, it hurts the old achin bones but ya get through it and see your accomplishment and age doesn,t mean anything except more life experience and your always looked up to. I will tell you what, I felt old when I graduated school and the company recruiters walked right past me and another 35 year old to the young 20 year olds, don't let that discourage you life experience means alot more. Once you find a company you will do just fine! Oh, and you have plenty of air below the surface too......Good Luck, Never give up!
I have a guy working with me that went to school at 46 after retiring from the Army. as well I know serval others in thier 50 and 60s still working in the industry As long as yor heathy and can put up with the constant whinnng from the imuture kids you should do good
Work with a lot of Sat divers in their mid 50's. It comes down to Fitness and Attitude most of the time
I'm encouraged to know that another guy is changing careers, after 15 yrs as a sparks, I'm starting anew next year at DIT. I've been lurking the boards here trying to keep my mouth shut and eyes and ears open...which seems to be the advice every experinced diver here recommends for the red hat/worm/freshmeat etc..
I went to dive school at 31 and am managing ok... My suggestion is to hit the school in Minnesota...It short and cheaper and will get you your certs so you don't have to pay on th loans for so long...Believe me these things suck...This is also not a family friendly business. Be ready to travel and jump at any second from where there isn't work to where there is..work has dried up on our end as well..Check out that school and take the plunge..sure wish I went there... ( and buy ll your s*** on craigslist or ebay not from school stores...you'll svve yourself tons)
Thanks for the advice, but I'd decided on DIT because of location and the fact it offers the International cert. I'm hoping to skip the wh*** GOM that everyone seems to be trying to go onto. I'm planning on trying for a tender spot somewhere in the pacific if I can, although I won't rule out GOM, its just not my first choice. Seems like too many divers chasing the same dollar.
I appreciate all you guys who have responded,I've checked out what I could about ya and am very impressed.Must have scared off all the young lads and even that Ethan guys outlooks though by asking for some old school attitude. Not a bad record for my first communication with you old salty dogs. Ace reccomends a guy like me to go for a cheap and quick cert. as did sean,music to my ears. Any other places other than Minnesota? I do have a family (married 16 yrs to a kick ass girl + 4 kids ) that supports me 100%,just always been based on the west coast.Also is possible to get planted some where permanet i.e. San Fancisco, Seattle,Portland ?I'd imagine @ less wages.Thanks again.
Chasing the same dollar -Well wait till reality really hits you in trying to pay off the expensive dive school bill and find work to keep yourself going.
The too old guys of whom some of us are that are still at it only paid $1200 to go to school and maybe a little less back in the early '70's then you could pay that off in a month or two wages. That all didnt last too long before they started calling it "College" same amount of hrs longer period of time for alot more money out of your pocket and thats where it is at today.
Use your mind and read the posts and put your ego aside sometimes less is really more.
Lets see owing about what $20,000 when your thru is equal to what a new truck ? Most tenders start out at $12.00 hr to $19.00 when offshore and only when they are working. Facts are the facts its all mind over matter, if you dont mind it dosent matter.
One of the other posts said it seems like alot of divers chasing the same dollar-GE ya think?
So if you really need a International cert go to South Africa, if not shop around after all its only paper.
Copy that Ace I read ya loud and clear,My family is down for adventure,I'm sure they have great day care for my little brats on them rigs,eh?
P.S. sorry for my slow response,I still type with one finger.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service