Hey Guys, wanted to know if anyone out there knew of any insurance companies insured for freelance divers? 

Views: 427

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

go talk to an insurance broker

Affordable insurance for the freelance or small dive operation is very expensive.  Starting at 1000,000.00 coverage for workmen's comp., General Liability, Water Craft / vessel you may be working from, marina operators coverage etc..

A small operation is nearly unheard of anymore, at least legal operations anyway.  OSHA regs. require a minimum of three persons on each dive thus your operation must carry workmen's comp for each of them or they have to carry their own.  Can you tell me of a Tender that earns enough to pay the cost of this insurance seeing that rates are based on EXPECTED full time annual income?

Right now to be a legal commercial dive operation - you must go BIG or go home.

If you follow the letter of the law; a person with a metal detector goes to a beech to recover a friends  lost watch for a fee is breaking the law.  I guess I should add the term "Navigable waterways".

I have been researching insurance to answer the same question.  If you are able to find some additional information on this please feel free to post here, I would like more info on this.

At this point this is what I am finding, this does not mean I am a lawyer and grasp complete understanding.

O.P. - Good luck

Free lance diver does not require workman's comp. your exempt as business owner.

Water craft and vessel will fall under hull insurance if you own a boat. If you charter as for certificate of insurance and ask to be additional insured.

general liability is for what you do not how you do it. (ie underwater).

get a 1,000,000 excess liability rider , cost about $250. yr.

Fred,  If you get the time, shoot me a note.  I would like to get a better understanding.  Sounds like you have had to deal with this. I keep running into cost prohibitive insurance policies.  I have become a new subscriber to this board in effort to get a better handlle on starting my first independent buisness rather than work for someone else.

Cheers... 

I've shot you an email...

Don't take a risk insure with "Fisk"

New Orleans Broker I used to use.

Did you contact DAN? They provide insurance to freelance divers at a reasonable cost. I'm insured with them too. Their services are good. 

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service