Information

Old School Divers

For working divers who have paid their dues to the industry. Offshore and Inland. Need to have 25 years plus please.

Members: 27
Latest Activity: Jan 1, 2016

Discussion Forum

Old Divers and Bold Divers

Yesterday while in Jacksonville, Fla. I had the opportunity to visit the dive school there…Continue

Started by A.. Parnell Mar 16, 2011.

overflow of "KIDS" 5 Replies

I'll Start it out here! Who is "BSing" all the young kids into getting into a all ready over flowded market?

Started by Chuck Bonner. Last reply by A.. Parnell May 11, 2010.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Old School Divers to add comments!

Comment by Tony Nunez on June 1, 2011 at 8:54am
who knows divers from Divers Training Academy, Linkport Fl? 
Comment by A.. Parnell on September 8, 2010 at 6:48pm
Who knows when and where E.R. Cross made his first helmet dive?
Please be exact to area of the World and exact location.
Comment by Albert Aleong on May 30, 2010 at 1:14pm
I started diving in 1967 in Trinidad,in 1970 went to Panama with Oceaneering on the first 660 Perry 660 roll over system, that is when I started gas diving.I went back to Trinidad working on the same system on the Marina 1. I then went to Brazil working on the zephyr 2 on a Perry 1000 sat roll over system.
In 1980 I started working with Solus Ocean System as a supervisor on a 1000 foot sat system in Venezuela, when this job was done I went into mining,and I mined for 20 years. I trying to get back into the diving industry as a client rep I also looking to contact old friends that I have worked with in the industry,they could contact me at albert@amlgold.biz.
The Industry have changed, I don't know if it is for the best, but it have put people like me who pioneer gas and bell diving cant get work and when you try to get certify it almost imposable
Comment by Barry Ribbeck on May 28, 2010 at 9:28am
I'd like to inform folks that long time friend and diver Jim Austin passed away a few months back from an accident. Jim and I worked at Taylor (TDS) in the 70s and 80s. Jim was still diving at 60.
Comment by Gary Smith on May 27, 2010 at 1:06pm
Hey Willy! Knew about Doc Thomas, Bob Schnepf and Manlove. Yeah you are right we are all getting along. Sure learned a lot from you old seadogs. Rio? Global Industries found me in Costa Rica 5 years ago and offered me a job in Mexico working with Gerry Baker. One thing led to another, found myself in Trinidad, the Emerates, Saudi as well as Mexico. This past Jan. they asked me to come help out in Rio for a bit and now they are asking me to relocate here and still help out in Mexico and other parts of Latin America. Turns out that my wife told me she was through last November so this bit came along at exactly the right time. No place for a newly single guy than the beaches of Rio! Still passin' on the wisdom you all shared with me. Some of these young divers think they are the first! Yeah, I used to think that as well. Must be part of being a diver!
Comment by willy Wilson on May 27, 2010 at 12:18pm
'78 was a good year. Update on the school since then. John Manlove sold school in '86 to Norval duncan and John Ritter. School moved from Western Pioneer to 11th ave. NW in 1990. Norval passed away in 92 and John Ritter had sole possession. Sold the school in 1998 to ruce Banks. Bob Schnepf, Doc Thomas, Chuck Litzo and John Manlove have all pssed away. I guess you could say I am the last of the breed. How did you wind up in Rio?
Comment by Gary Smith on May 27, 2010 at 12:08pm
Hope you all don't mind if I join in. Willy was one of my instructors at DIT back in '78. Paid a few dues along the way and now in a decent spot in Rio. Great place for an older diver to hang out!
Comment by A.. Parnell on April 28, 2010 at 6:17pm
Dennis Wilcox, Ok here is the scoop I looked it our to curisoity E.R. Cross closed Sparling School of Deep Sea Diving by his own words "in 1956 or so" that makes Dennis and Ace both wrong as to the date as you said 1954 and I said 1957 so now we know. So until another of one of these diving history events come up that are in question "Stay thirsty my friends".
Comment by Dale Harris on April 15, 2010 at 7:03am
Reading these names and accounts is like walking thru a musuem. The best ever kind of musuem I might add.
Comment by Alan Frankfurth on April 15, 2010 at 6:25am
Went to CDC in 1978, Class of PD92, Work for Sub Sea International and Global in the north sea in the late 70"s early 80"s. Then came over here to South East Asia at the end of 82. And still here.

Members (27)

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service