NJ Diver Dies On Underwater Job At NY Nuke Plant

BUCHANAN, N.Y. (AP) ―

A diver who was working under 14 feet of water died Monday at the Indian Point nuclear power plant, officials said.

State police said there was no immediate evidence of a crime or an accident, and plant owner Entergy Nuclear said there was no sign of equipment failure.

Lloyd Beare, 45, of Barnegat, N.J., was pulled unconscious from the plant's discharge canal Monday morning when he stopped answering routine communication checks, Entergy said. Resuscitation attempts failed, and he was pronounced dead at Hudson Valley Hospital Center in Cortlandt Manor.

Beare had been preparing for maintenance work on a wall that separates the discharge canal from the Hudson River. The canal is used to send water back to the river after making steam or cooling a reactor.

An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. Entergy said an investigation was under way.

Beare worked for Dryden Diving of Woolwich Township, N.J., which had a contract with Entergy. Dryden referred calls to Entergy.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Views: 548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I never had a problem with it. If your Cam was set properly: When the handle was half way over it should be tight, just past half it should snap home.
I guess one of the biggest problems with the toilet seat is that divers never use the pin. I think that plays a big role in it coming unlatched.
You keep proving my point guys, we don't know what happens - they take their hat off and drown, they have a heart attack, they panic. The truth is we don't know because the investigation usually stops short. Once the M.E. determines the cause of death the factors leading up to it usually aren't pursued.

Chuck you believe that panic is the cause of most helmet removal incidents because of your years of experience doing this job. I have another theory that covers both the heart attack scenario and the drowning scenario.

What if both incidents were caused by the diver's pulmonary system's (lungs) inability to meet the metabolic demands of the body because of inadequate gas exchange that results in either hypoxemia or hypercarbia or both. How would you know? what signs or symptoms would preclude such an event? Increased breathing, grunting, increased heart rate, increased blood pressure.

As the heart pumps harder, the breathing effort increases, CO2 production increases, and the diver becomes hypercarbic. As the depth increases the diver's lungs don't expand as fully, resulting in lower inspired FiO2 and possibly incomplete diffusion leading to hypoxemia.

The hypoxemia causes the diver to experience an altered mental status - confusion, aggitation, increased restlessness, and lethargy prior to unconsciousness.

Y'all know how the story is goes from there. Just a thought.
Sounds like a possible coronary or something of the like.
I know Dryden and know he runs a clean business.
yep......that's what a heart attack is....
As of 06/18/2010;

It was NOT a heart attack. This was determined by the Medical Examiner.

Waiting for Toxicology Reports.
On the subject, this job would come under OSHA. There is as much chance of an OSHA inspector showing up to investage what went wrong as the ADCI & IMCA banding together to give me an Award.

The Company involved is an ADCI Member will the ADCI ensure the laws are followed?
I have spoken with two divers in the area that I respect and they say that the dive company, OSHA and the ADC are all doing the right thing. No cover up No BS.

The ADCI has said we will all see the report when it is finial

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service