I've always used KM helmets, but unfortunately a car accident has left me with a neck injury that I'm going to be stuck with, and the result is that the weight of the KM helmet is killing my neck before I get in the water.

I know that there are some lighter helmets out there that have hold downs that tie the helmet to the harness instead of putting the weights on the helmet, but I don't know what models they are etc.  Can you make some suggestions of suitable helmets that don't have extra weights added? They will be used for inshore work, air only.

Any help with this would be appreciated! 

Views: 934

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get yourself a Mark 5. That will put the weight on your shoulders and not your neck. Hell, you'll probably have enough room in their to wear a neck brace while you dive.

Yes I suppose a Mark V would do that, but a dive supervisor might have a "What the hell!" moment if I turned up with that, so hopefully someone will have some more modern suggestions?

A Divex AH5 may be a possibility.

http://divex.co.uk/capabilities/defence-diving/salvage-and-engineer...

Or the Mark 12 from Morse may also be a possibility.

Advanced Air Hat - ie Swindell / Divex

Good working hat that racked up thousands of hours of dives in the Gulf and Harbors.

use with jocking harness, no weight on neck and has double exhaust with chin valve.

can also be used with breastplate for standard gear diving.

use with neckdam or attached direct to dry suit.

This hat is still being made and available new. used ones sell for about 2K.

Able Marine

Advanced 2000 diving helmet

10908 Poplar Street, Coulterville, Illinois, 62237

618-758-2037

ablemarine@frontier.com

HAS TWO NEW HATS IN STOCK

Many thanks for the reply Fred - I will check them out.

Do you know if these are a freeflow helmet or demand regulator?

This is a freeflow helmet only. Unless you are on HP air bottles you do not need a regulator. You will find that freeflow instead of gasp per breath is very confortable to work with. Helmet has an air muffler. AH5 is also a very good air hat.

I have done many hours u/w with the Advanced and AH2 . If you use it with a dry suit with the helmet attached you have the same as standard gear but no breastplate.

Good Luck and dive safe.

Unfortunately we are on HP banked air most of the time so a freeflow hat won't suit.

Might not be too much help but check out the new G3000SS. Just done one the other day and it's perfect, it almost floats like a desco pot on your head so it could help take the stress of your neck. The new reg is badass too.

OK - might try to find out some more.  Any idea of the dry weight?

no idea if they are good hat as I never dove one but  from what i have heard they are light.

http://www.composite-be.com/index.php?lang=an&page=prod&s=dive

They certainly look interesting - many thanks for that!  Will check them out further.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service