Hi,

We're developing a continual monitor for compressed air. (CO, CO2, O2, Moisture, VOC and Oil)

I wonder if you could advise me what is the longest you know of divers being surface supplied with air at one time?  I.e. how many hours in a row without turning off the compressor.

I'd also be interested to know of any stories you have of being fed "bad air".

Thanks for your help in advance

Simon Lunt - Analox Sensor Technology

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been on jobs in the past where compressors did not get shut down until they broke down, or the job came to an end. One job in particular the compressors ran for 6 days straight. Granted that was a long time ago and safety standards have changed. Most companies nowdays require compressors to be shut down for refueling. So depending on tank capacity usually every 12-14 hours. However, there may still be companies that fuel running compressors or draw fuel from 55 gallon drums. Electric compressors would be a completely different story. They often run 24-7. I would think a run time of 24 hours would be a good start. Possibly add a reset feature for run times over that. Using the manufacturers guidelines for run times would probably be your safest bet.

A small portable unit that attaches to the dive rack or chamber may be a better option. Especially if it included a low pressure alarm. Good luck in your endeavors.

At one major dive company a compressor was never sent offshore befor it had been run continuously for 50 hrs.  Don't remember if there was a shut- down schedule for running over several days.

Your product would also be useful in hazardous environments; for example diving next to a tanker which is venting tanks.(we used a client- supplied unit set up next to the compressor intake.). That only works if you catch the alarm in time and switch the diver to uncontaminated HP supply.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service