West Coast Divers & Pile Drivers

Information

West Coast Divers & Pile Drivers

A place to Network with Divers, Pile Driver's, and Union Brother's & Sister's, in order to discuss Safety Issues, procure work, and tell sea stories...

Members: 32
Latest Activity: Oct 6, 2017

Discussion Forum

Work 1 Reply

has anybody have any good leads on work in CA for diving.Continue

Started by Scott Perkoski. Last reply by cameron piper Apr 30, 2011.

Hows the work situation

Hey Willie,Names Al, another union brother up here in BC Can. local 2404 Piledrivers, DiversI'm currently working as a dive supervisor on different jobs, mostly hydro work.Whats the job situation in…Continue

Started by alvie ostrikoff Aug 13, 2010.

Union Diver Training 2 Replies

I have been a member of Local 2396 here in Western Washington for about 15 years.  I worked with Vince Rainier. Lonnie wigon and ill Sullivan to get training for the divers in our local.  Everytime…Continue

Started by willy Wilson. Last reply by willy Wilson Jun 14, 2010.

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of West Coast Divers & Pile Drivers to add comments!

Comment by A.. Parnell on February 24, 2010 at 10:41am
Shido man YOU pissed in someone elses suit I rember a Navy dive mate of mine who I loaned my dry suit to on one of my jobs and he pissed in it. OH NO i WASNT MAD I JUST WANTED TO KILL HIM. Ge that was over 20 years ago and I can somehow rember it. I hope this gives you some prospective on p*****g in some one elses suit. Think about buying him a new one.
Comment by SHIDO on February 6, 2010 at 10:59pm
Thanks Bill, appreciate your input. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it goes!
Comment by Bill Gardner on February 6, 2010 at 9:03pm
PS- a 4 or 5 lb. hammer with a short handle is quite handy and a dozen rolls of electricians tape is very popular.
Comment by Bill Gardner on February 6, 2010 at 9:00pm
For now just your basic kit crescent wrenches, couple of screwdrivers, knives, etc. for your gear. Contractor should provide come-alongs, turfors,chain falls, chain saws, hydraulic/pneumatic tools, etc. I always have driftpins, marlin spike, hacksaw & blades, hose ftgs to match my gear, spare comms connectors and speakers. Measuring tape, depth gauge, gloves, you know what I mean-stuff that makes the job easier for you & what makes you look like a pro.
Comment by SHIDO on February 6, 2010 at 4:28pm
BTW Guys, What sort of hand tools should a Pilebutt have in his bag? Besides the obvious. As far as Piledriving goes, I'm really green. Thanks!
Comment by SHIDO on February 6, 2010 at 8:13am
Thanks Jim, yeah I'm finding that things can be quite different around here, compared to the Gulf. I dove a drysuit "once" in Chicago like 10 years ago. I went on a job last week in the aqueduct, out by Lancaster, and it was COLD. One of the other divers, out of the kindness of his heart, offered to let me dive his drysuit. I still got chilly, and after about 3 hours of trying to seal these stop-logs with wedges, rags, oak**, and Oats, I brain farted, and pissed in this poor guys suit! I reazalized I F*cked up as soon as I let'r fly, but it was too late. I could've died! I just met this guy! I got out of the water, and he asked me how I liked the suit? Did it "leak on me", lol. I had to be honest and told him, "no, but I leaked on it". Horrible, just horrible. He was cool about it, thank God, and I owe him some beers. But like I said I'm learning, just hope to avoid trial and errror, when I can. I'll never piss in a drysuit again, sorry this lesson came at someone else's expense, hehe...
Comment by SHIDO on February 5, 2010 at 9:05pm
Right on, Thanks Bill!
Comment by Bill Gardner on February 5, 2010 at 8:32pm
Pilebuck is the politically correct referant. Divers are to some degree or another always suspect as being part of a speciies of seagulls or s***hawks....squawking etc. Each local has a hiearchy of whose got the biggest d*** etc. just adopt the 'new guy' mantra mouth shut ears open and you'll be alright.
Comment by SHIDO on February 5, 2010 at 7:36pm
Thanks for the advice Bill, appreciate any words of wisdom from a salty dog! I went to the Union Hall and got sworn in, and the Pilebutts seemed like a great bunch of hard working guys, by the looks of em' and the beer cans littering the parking lot, lol. Sure I'll transition well. Just curious thou, do you think I'll catch any flack for being a Diver that got grandfathered in? Do Pilebutts (I'm so green I thought it was a "pilebuck") treat us like red headed step-children, or is it all good? Thanks Bud...BTW I'm no prima-donna, I've always been a Hand. Just a squirrel trying to get a nut :)
Comment by Bill Gardner on February 5, 2010 at 2:49pm
Hi Chris, pilebutt work can be anything from bridge construction to boat slip work, have all your rigging, burning, jetting etc. ready to work. Lots of variety just hard to get in rotation right now. cheers bill

Members (32)

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service