Hey all,

I am working for a salvage company in Malaysia, and were currently on a project to remove a wreck in deep in the Borneo jungles. Doesn't pay much but I am determined to do the job well, Attached are some photos of the wreck.

As you can see, there is absolute zero viz down there. and currents can be really strong.
I have tried inspecting the wrecks using standard scuba gear but I cannot go deeper than 3 meters.  Probably with a KMB, more weights, and a shotline I could get to the bottom.

To make matters worse, these ships have been there for so long that the officials have lost all records of the vessel. So we do not know how the ship looks like underwater, and we cannot see it for ourselves either. Also, I do not know the depth, but I will soon.

I am inspecting the wreck again soon and I will be prepared this time.

The reason I wrote this is to find out if anyone else have done salvaging like this, or have any ideas to remove this wreck with a budget of only 30,000 USD.

My best bet is to secure the bow (above water) with either a pontoon or seal it completely.
I plan to use sonar imaging to find out what its like down there, but would it work in zero viz with strong currents?
Once the front is secured, we either plan to refloat the stern or pull it out using a tug boat. It all depends on the state of the vessel underwater.
My team and I also plan to use an airlift to remove whatever silt around the bottom that is causing it to be stuck.

It is relatively close to the riverbank, but previous efforts by other companies to pull it out using a crane barely moved it.

So this is a near impossible task for a small budget company like mine, but again I just gotta do this somehow.

So is there anyone out there with a brilliant idea to get rid of this wreck?

These are my best estimates : Length: 34m, Weight: <150 tons, Depth: 10m

any advice appreciated.

Views: 1598

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jon, time is money. you will spend a lot more time and money trying to do this dredging with pumps and nozzels. Rig up a tug boat to the wreck and let him blow the silt away.
you will do more in one hour then you will in three days with pumps.
Is there tidal action on the river if so you prop wash at low tide.
work it out on paper. costs of pumps , labor etc. compared to one day of tug.
Thanks Dale,

I am now trying to wrap my head around the idea of a frame. Could I try tapping more into that oil-well capping brain of yours?

Fred, a prop wash does have its advantage, and I have access to both. Renting a tug does cost alot but still doable. It is still high in the methods list. Please give more details if you can.
Remember, I've got two different wrecks to take out here. so both would work.

Dale, my mind finds it hard to visualise something without a picture. I am trying my best to understand your method but its still a blur. If you do have time, can you help elaborate further on the frame at the bottom?
Jon, there are three methods of prop wash.
1. deep draft tug lays upstream on anchor with stern lines to wreck , lay in close to wreck 35 meters away and put the power to her. you will see prop wash hit hull and silt will flow around both ends and then scour under hull.
2. build a big pipe 90 degree nozzel the will swing down from stern deck of tug with open end just outside of prop. the prop wash will go through the 90 degree elbow and wash straight down and blow away silt - Its a down draft prop wash. easy example take a small pipe with 90 degree elbow and stick straight end in bucked and blow in through the 90 and see what happens. all the power is downward.
3. Have two tugs , one on either side with prop wash directed at wreck. problem with this is down stream tug must not have raw water cooling because you will fill engine cooling system with silt.
I have used this method many times on vessel salvage and pipeline exposure work.
Or put a big ass jet pump on a barge with a crane and a 6 inch streight jet pipe with inch nozzels on end and swing jet pipe back and forth along wreck and current will carry silt down stream.
How is it comming along Jon ?
All good, official briefing and handing in reports in the morning. Gonna give everyone credit for their replies and advice. I will try to keep you guys updated as often as possible.
Hey everyone..

Just thought I'd fill you in on whats happening. On Monday, we had an official meeting with the board, and they have agreed to increase the fund to 50,000. Due to extra costs like barges and tug rental, which is about 3000 per day. Not much has been happening besides calculations and running around finding our necessary equipment.

As I said in the previous post, I am not assigned to this wreck anymore but still indirectly involved should they require an extra hand. My own wreck is giving me a headache, there is a conflict of interest in methods used. So I have another question for anyone who has done this.

My method uses lifting bags, my first option was to cut h***s on the side of the vessel but after calculating the forces my guess is that it can tear the metal.

Here is a shot of my wreck and you can see how thin the metal on the sides are. These are not the conditions I will be working with, the vessel is completely submerged and will remain that way throughout our wh*** operation.

Now an alternative is to sling a wire underneath the wreck and attach a lifting bag on each side.
I have learnt from references of the salvage of the Tricolor. They managed to send a wire saw into the ground and come out on the other side.

Now my question is, how do I do that?

I'm leaving for the jungles in about a weeks time, and I have to have everything ready and finalised.

For those who have corresponded with me through email, I will get back to you when I am able to give answers.

Thanks.
Jon,
You can messenger a line through by using a long lenth of pipe 3/4 - 1 inch bent and hooked up to either air compressor or water pump and you jet the pipe through to other side.
with line attached once through you pull additional line attached to cable and you have it.
mud bottom is easy and sand takes longer.
Thanks Fred.

How long is long, and how much bend do I need?

I think you were meant to say that mud bottom is NOT easy?

you're a star mate, thanks for this.
Estimate how much hull is under mud and distance of Beam of vessel.
Pipe bend is curvature of vessel.
example: 3 meters mud depth to keel, Beam is 5 meters = pipe length 12 meters.
the pipe has to travel down through the mud and curve with hull past keel and up other side.
You could also airlift h***s on both sides of vessel then jet through to other side. push through a float with line attached and pick up on other side .
You can also jet the mud until it becomes a slurry then push pipe through.
I do not recommend jet tunneling under vessel with SCUBA gear.
SCUBA=some come up barely alive
Jon, i read Freds &Aces comments on the scuba theory, they are correct, i have experienced a salvage job w/ Ace yrs ago in San Diego Ca, i was on surf supp & went under the vessel to run lines after i had floated the boat just enough , i came to the dive boat , climed up on & looked @ the wreck and guess what? It rolled over , this is why you need to be careful, jetting can cause this @ a slower pace & you are trapped & working to accomplish little. Lance Padfield.....
Advice that can save my life. This will be etched in my memory.

Thanks guys.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service