Hey all,

I am working for a salvage company in Malaysia, and were currently on a project to remove a wreck in deep in the Borneo jungles. Doesn't pay much but I am determined to do the job well, Attached are some photos of the wreck.

As you can see, there is absolute zero viz down there. and currents can be really strong.
I have tried inspecting the wrecks using standard scuba gear but I cannot go deeper than 3 meters.  Probably with a KMB, more weights, and a shotline I could get to the bottom.

To make matters worse, these ships have been there for so long that the officials have lost all records of the vessel. So we do not know how the ship looks like underwater, and we cannot see it for ourselves either. Also, I do not know the depth, but I will soon.

I am inspecting the wreck again soon and I will be prepared this time.

The reason I wrote this is to find out if anyone else have done salvaging like this, or have any ideas to remove this wreck with a budget of only 30,000 USD.

My best bet is to secure the bow (above water) with either a pontoon or seal it completely.
I plan to use sonar imaging to find out what its like down there, but would it work in zero viz with strong currents?
Once the front is secured, we either plan to refloat the stern or pull it out using a tug boat. It all depends on the state of the vessel underwater.
My team and I also plan to use an airlift to remove whatever silt around the bottom that is causing it to be stuck.

It is relatively close to the riverbank, but previous efforts by other companies to pull it out using a crane barely moved it.

So this is a near impossible task for a small budget company like mine, but again I just gotta do this somehow.

So is there anyone out there with a brilliant idea to get rid of this wreck?

These are my best estimates : Length: 34m, Weight: <150 tons, Depth: 10m

any advice appreciated.

Views: 1599

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry guys, had to let it out in public like that.

I'm still in the jungle now, and a lot of s*** has been happening. From office politics, to fundings. I just wasn't expecting to log on and find a condescending message.

Ace, I think I will use your now trademarked solution in all jobs, and market it for you.

I did have a few drinks tonight and I apologise for the rant.

Going back home in a few days to start the mobilisation, will keep you guys updated.

3:30 am now and I think I'd better sleep. Goodnight cDivers
Hey Jon,

good luck and dive safe!

cheers
Roger Jon tomorrow is another day.
Just tried to dive down the wreck today.

Currents are impossible. De-mob tomorrow, then fly back Wednesday.

Promise I will reply all your emails and tell you guys all about the wreck soon.

I've been using my phone as a modem, and GPRS connections are s***ty.

Gonna brief the bosses now for dinner and drinks. More politics beckons.

Can't wait to go home and tell you guys all about it. I truly appreciate the support from everyone.

Safe Diving.
Looking forward to your report on your inspectiion dive report Jon.
Alright, here I am back at hq. Sleep deprived and stressing out on the wrecks. Flew in last night and haven't had much sleep. and would you believe this office has no coffee??

Anyway, I'll get started.

Firstly I regret to inform those who sent me their CVs and are interested in helping out on the job that the company has hired their own team. Even I didn't get this job. I am now assigned to a different wreck which is almost as tough as this one. I am sorry I got your hopes up, but I will definitely keep them as records for future jobs, and trust me there are alot more coming.

Kirk, I'd like to answer your questions first. Yes, the wreck is the one in the pics. The nearest airport would be Bintulu. I will attach new photos after this. and yes please send your resume anyway for future reference.

We have decided to use the tidal lift method with two barges, rigged with a never been tried before 'clamp' or vice grip method to secure the wreck. Our team is calling this the crocodile mouth. I will explain more later.

*damnit, I've been asked to have a meeting now with the bosses again. I will continue this in an hour or so.
Thanks Jon
Hey all,

What was supposed to be an hour meeting turned out to be a wh*** dinner, so I left my pc at the office. Anyway, here I am again.

You're a funny guy Ace, lol. When I get this wreck out, I'm coming to Hawaii and learn how to surf. Funny thing, I am currently reading Descent into Darkness, the book about the Navy divers who salvaged the damaged warships after the attack on Pearl Harbour. Read it if you haven't.

What you told me about the tidal lift is exactly what were doing, we've also been trying to get help from cranes and winches. The team isn't convinced with the welding bubbles, although i could probably set up a small scale model to test it out. What were most probably going to do it is to borrow our company vessel and rig a prop wash deflector. Does anyone know how to do this, we've never really tried it and we don't know if it will work to 14m (45ft).

As for our method, it really needs to be in a diagram for you to see how. but basically, two barges, a H-beam to stabilise them, 2 inch cables (should I go bigger?), rigged to four points on the ship.

Attached is a new pic I took during our survey, It was during the high tide, but you can still see the bow and the mast. You can tell that is is misaligned, probably from the previous effort of removing or scrap metal scavengers. It is still intact, but bent away from the hull. There is a large portion cut out on the port side which can be seen from the earlier pictures. We will have to make it stable as we think it might break.

During the attempted inspection dive, it took two men to pull our diver against the current. When he tried to descend, the current got stronger and after 2m it went totally pitch black. I had the easy job of being tender/standby diver. After that dive, we decided to invest our money in a scuba replacement panel and go pro with Kirby's 18 bandmasks.

We will perform diving operations during the tidal change, this means most of the diving will be around 3-5 am.

As I said, I have been transferred to a different wreck so I wouldn't be working on this wreck. We're both having a friendly competition on who can get theirs out first. If I can finish first, I'll join them with this wreck.

If you want to help me win, can someone tell me where I can get two 50ton enclosed lifting bags/salvage pontoons. I am planning to make my own if I can't find it.

This is my wreck, it looks easy I know, but this pic was taken during the once in ten years drought season. If you can see the jetty on the left side of the pic, that's where the water is now and will be for the rest of our operations. It is completely submerged in zero vis water.

The wreck looks small but this is its sister ship which is said to be shorter.

To erase confusion, this thread is about wreck 1. If anyone can give advice on how to rig and lift the wreck with two barges please let me know. Ace you have been really helpful, I really wish you can come and join us to experience this first hand.

I also need help with finding those 50ton salvage pontoons.

Thanks for all the support. Cheers.
and also everything I need to know about prop wash dredging.
Jon on prop washing another possiable approach if it could be put together in that location would be to construct a large pipe elbow to accomodate your tugs propeller size and blow out mud from around the hull letting the river current take it away. This I believe its called a mail box it is used in treasure diving to uncover large areas for access to sunken ships treasure ships. This could be a very expedient method to remove mud if applied correctly. Send me a personal message for more details if you need it.
Another view of the wreck.

By the way, I just found out about the chat function at the bottom of the screen. Hope to see you guys online.
Thanks Dale, I think its a good alternative to using prop wash.

Unfortunately, I have no experience rigging a scour machine like that. Would you mind explaining it in layman's terms or draw a basic diagram of this method?

I am really interested in this. as using prop wash requires more time and money.

you can email me or write it here.

Pretty soon I'd have to pay someone on here for advice.

I truly appreciate the help.

ps: come on the chat room

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service