Injection that gives you oxygen, even if you can't breathe.

Just read an article on a new oxygen-infused liquid that you can inject to give your body a boost of oxygen (for a few minutes) even if you can't breathe.  

Would love to get all your thoughts on how this may impact the commercial diving industry.  

http://cdiver.net/blog/2012/06/28/new-injection-lets-you-live-witho...

Views: 774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i am not sure i think the pure act of not being able to breath might be the biggest issue if this stuff actually works. Not being able to breath might be psychological but will still cause people to "Freak out"

Anyone remember Dr Clark's underwater breathing mouse experiment in 1966?  I tend to agree with you sometimes science can't overcome psyche

its a matter of overcoming the co2 in your lungs, which is the trigger to breath switch that off and inject away,

It would take a real Dr. to do this.  We don't have the knowledge, or skills to make it work.  So the application will be decades ahead. 

The idea of super-saturating the blood with O2 during severe trauma or injury that has caused blood loss is one thing, but injecting underwater for one sounds dangerous...the idea of injecting fatty tissue into the blood stream sounds unhealthy not just for divers but astronauts too.

This reminds me of some other interesting developments going on as an extension of the Liquid Oxygen O3 capability shown back in the film The Abyss and demonstrated by mice breathing the pink liquid in 1966. Yes, there has been a resurgence of biotechnology companies looking to expand this in recent years.

The main issue in developing this technology has not so much been providing O2 to the body or super-saturating the blood - we can do that - but the problem lies with the off-gassing and exhausting the C02 at a comparable rate so that the body is not poised or disfunctional. Further more, there are some issues with "expiration" and "ejection" of the remainder of the liquid from the lungs. Unlike premature babies who are given breathable liquids for a collapsed lung for example, an adult lung cannot adequately expel the remaining liquid without pumps and dryers etc. and to date they are too slow and inefficient thus the surfactant dries up, residue causes infection and other ongoing problems...an old fashioned cough and spit just doesn't do the trick unlike in the movies. 

In late 2011, a professor proposed a prototype which saw a Kirby Morgan filled with O3 liquid, and the diver was given a shunt in the groin to take blood from the artery and thus remove, or scrub C02 from the body system. I'm not so sure many divers would like to loose blood, or have a shunt in the groin whilst diving...

There has go to be a better way...

great idea but sounds like the pharmaCo's are going to make a killing both ways

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service