Today in class we were discussing the different types of dive knives and their uses. Of course there were lots of personal opinions concerning this subject and so I thought I would put it out there to the working diver and find out what you preferred. What works best out there? Fixed blade, folding blade... etc. What are the pro's and con's? What are your recommendations? I've heard that a lot of guys are using the Spydercos and the Green Rivers.

Views: 1928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Green river or a ""BIG CHIFE"" oh yeah baby!!! old school.

let me know when the new blade is available always looking for an excuse to buy a new knife
Photo above shows L. to R. spydeco $100.00 - west marine $10.00 basically same thing- sail/rigger knife - $25.00 been a divers favourite since 1945- glaziers knife-$15.00 - Myerchin riggers knife - $175.00 . West marine cheap throw awayable. Glaziers knife cheap, hardened blade will keep an edge the spine/back edge is 1/4" so you can whack it with a hammer, use it like a crowbar, generally abuse s*** out of it an cheap to replace.
I and every experienced Diver I know uses a Green River or generic version . . Getm for about $30 AU without a sheath which can be made up for a few bucks.
greenies are not available conveniently worldwide, Aus & NZ have access, not common in other parts of the world by any means, especially if you're moving job to job with regularity and don't have time or inclination to deal with international shipping hassles. btw I am an "experienced" diver and have never owned a green river knife. cheers-bill :)
Will keep that in mind, so maybe I can pawn a few when I travel .
Check Divers Supply in Gretna for chinese knock offs of Spydeco about one half price as of last summer. I like the yellow handle ones as you can write your name on the handles and also see them when or if you drop them on the bottom. By putting your name on the handle it keeps them from being taken by mistake.

Ace, the best knives I've run across are made by Boye out of Arizona. They are pricey but can cut rope like crazy without re-sharpening I've also shown the knives I like to have around on the boat-I love sailing. The Boyes are the group that include the yellow one and the two above it with the folding marline spike.
Hey Flynn, I used to do the wrapping as you see on my hacking knife, start out with 8 strands of linin knotting one after t'other over wood base rivited thru the haft , then braid ends back on themselves for the loop and dip the works in pine tar to keep it from rotting if left wet or damp. I like the blade the cutting edge only is tempered and looking at the cross section end on the sharp part of the blade tapers to 1/4" at the spine so you can wale on it with a 5 pound hammer. ( Fingers don't work anymore. Sucks.)
Yeah - it's actually a Victory, identical to the Green River. A diver I worked with asked me if I wanted a Green River, I said "yeah $50 bucks, he laughed and said"f*** yeah, nah $30 is fine mate. He had bought a box of em. I lost that knife yaddy yaddy yah. But yeah I will send a couple of emails and see what I can get the Green River/Victory knife for in bulk . . Tomorrow. But right now beers 200 min btm time pluse fixing compessors, tendering, f*** i'm buggerd!
Its funny how a good knife grows legs?????

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service