Hello everyone! I have several questions.
I’m working on a novel that takes place during a deep dive. I’ve done a lot of research so far so I’m not coming in here blind and I have been SCUBA diving for a fair amount of time. 
For some background information my fictional divers are diving with twisted umbilicals that have gas / headlamp / comms / and hot water connected to them. 
1: Where do each of these lines connect to the diver? Surely the hot water doesn’t go into the helmet does it?

does the gas line go into the spare air tanks on the back? How do those tanks work (a reference guide site would be amazing). From what I see they look like rectangles of some kind. It’s very confusing.

2: What are those hot water suits made of? Is it a wetsuit or dry suit filled with warm water? 

3: How heavy are these suits/helmet? Is it completely impossible to swim?

4: What keeps the suit’s water from entering the helmet? A series of collars? 

5: Is the umbilical attached to a harness on ALL dives? 

Any help with these would be GREATLY appreciated, as a lot of the institutes I’ve asked have ignored my inquiries.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the months to follow. 

Views: 407

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chase,

1) A dive umbilical is made up of the following:

Main air / gas

Communication (comm line) 

Pneumofathometer (pneumo hose - used to measure Diver's depth and can be used as emergency air / gas supply

Other members can be added such as hot water, video, and light cable.

If the umbilical is not twisted, a strength member, usually 3/8" rope will be added.

The umbilical is always attached to a harness. This prevents strains from being applied to the hose connections. The main air / gas hose and bailout bottle hose connect to a side block on the Diver's helmet. This allows the Diver to operate the air trane to flush the helmet and turn on the bailout bottle. One of the most important fittings on the side block is the one way valve which is where the main air / gas hose connected. The comm line connects to posts or a marsh marine fitting on the helmet.

Hotwater suits are made of neoprene. The hotwater hose connects to the hotwater suit. For safety reasons this connection is always a quick connect fitting.

What keeps water from entering the Diver's helmet (hat) is the neck dam. This has a neoprene or latex seal that fits on the Diver's neck and then has a ring that connects to the helmet. This also keeps the helmet (hat) from floating up and off the Diver's head. Helmets do leak some from time to time.

There are many different styles of helmets, but the weight in air is approximately 28 - 30 lbs. When underwater, the helmets are usually a couple of pounds negative. You can swim, but without fins and dragging the umbilical behind you, it is a little difficult.

The Diver wears a bailout bottle on his back. This is for emergency air / gas backup. The bottle is usually 30 cu. ft. to 50 cu. ft. The picture you saw may have been a couple of smaller bottles that were housed in a protective housing. 

Hope this helps.

Ed         

SCUBA Diving for a fair amount of time equals less than what a tender is ...So hows that Novel?

If you are looking for a reliable writing service, then you should consider using essay guides 

essayservice.com/blog-categories/essay-guides. This company offers a wide range of services to suit all your needs. It also provides a money back guarantee. This company provides quality and customized essays for all academic levels. The prices vary depending on the level and complexity of your assignment. However, the minimum price is only $9 per page. Moreover, the company accepts Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Lastly, the website has a handy price calculator. 99Papers' authors are well-trained and professional. They provide 100% unique content. Moreover, the website prohibits plagiarism and provides strict privacy.

Hi all, recently our wh*** group has been having a hard time. We had a lot of work to do in college. Many of the guys did not have time to do it, and I, as the head teacher, was asked to help. I found a very cool site online custom dissertation writers https://essayhub.com/dissertation-writing-service. With their help the guys all worked out. Everyone was pleased with the work they did in such a short time. I recommend them to everyone.

In the rapidly evolving realm of technology, where innovation is the driving force behind every success story, the role of DevOps cannot be underestimated. Enter Dysnix, a trailblazer in the field of "DevOps services provided by a certified Senior-only team." The narrative begins with an understanding that the software development lifecycle is no longer a linear journey; it's a dynamic, iterative process demanding agility, collaboration, and efficiency. And this is where Dysnix steps in as a trusted partner, armed with a seasoned team of certified DevOps experts who possess a wealth of experience navigating the intricate landscapes of technology.

The heart of Dysnix's DevOps services lies in its exclusive Senior-only team. It's not just a team; it's a collective of visionaries, strategists, and problem solvers who have spent over a decade honing their craft. With this expertise, they tackle the most intricate challenges that modern businesses face today. Gone are the days of siloed development and operations teams. In this story, they merge into a harmonious symphony under Dysnix's guidance, ensuring that software development, deployment, and operation are no longer separate chapters but intertwined threads that weave a seamless narrative.

Picture a software project in its infancy, facing the daunting task of scalability, security, and performance. The Dysnix Senior-only team steps in as mentors, applying their collective wisdom to formulate bespoke DevOps solutions that align with the project's unique needs. They analyze, strategize, and craft a roadmap that streamlines the development process, orchestrates automated testing, and integrates continuous deployment. But their role extends beyond technicalities. They become partners in the journey, imparting their knowledge and collaborating with the client's team to ensure a symbiotic relationship where innovation and growth are nurtured.

It's not just about the initial setup; it's about nurturing and sustaining. The Dysnix team guides the project throughout its lifecycle, adapting to changing demands and ensuring that the software remains robust, secure, and optimized. They embody streamlined communication and collaboration, bridging gaps between teams and departments, and fostering a culture of continuous improvement.

In the vast realm of DevOps, Dysnix's https://dysnix.com/devops-as-a-service story stands out. It's a tale of a certified Senior-only team, armed with insights, experience, and a passion for innovation. It's a narrative of transformation, where traditional barriers crumble, and technology flourishes. In a world where success is measured by agility and efficiency, Dysnix emerges as the unsung hero, ensuring that the projects it touches don't just thrive; they redefine excellence.

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service