I need everyone's help to create a list of commercial diving slang words! We're going to add a mini dictionary of diver slang to the cDiver Wiki.

What words do you know and how do they translate? Also, please mention if they are specific to your country/location.

Views: 1873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think people aren't paying attention to why she's asked for slang words. it's supposed to go into the cdiver wiki page.
leave it to a squid to bring the emotions into it, lol. pink is my fav color, how'd you know?
The visuals are entertaining! I'll take what I can get and try to make sense of it, I am but a wee scuba diver...
PrimaDona - newly brokeout diver with a grudge who takes it out on the tenders.
hose - sometimes your umbilical , sometimes not.
bailout - usually a SCUBA bottle. Sometimes a tender with money.
mailbouy - buoys specially dropped by Post Office for new tenders on first trip offshore.
donkeyd*** - standoff pipe to mount clamp for risers.
nipples - mmmmm nipples , short pipe threaded at each end.
jet - waterjet - T nozzle w/ water coming out each end to move mud.
jet pump - 4x6 multi-stage centrifical water pump driven by large diesel engine
airlift - long pipe with air induced at bottom end to provide lift. [often stolen pvc pipe from road
construction projects]
diveshack - forbidden territory for tenders except for extremely short periods of time.

did I mention nipples? mmmmm nipples
lol
You could add to this:
Nemo - Neumofathometer (you can understand why it get's called Nemo)
Bailout - can also refer to the text message sent to the lads to come save you from the thing you are talking to at the bar
Super Diver - Diver who has done enough work to think that he now knows everything and wastes no time in letting everyone else know about it.
ChugChug - Diesel powered LP compressor used for airtools
Slopeonarope - Japanese diver with tough to pronounce name (and a sense of humour)
Newb or Baby - New diver fresh from dive school
Muppet - Someone incapable of getting anything right unless someone else has their hand up his .... showing him how to do it.
good ones
I speak your language.
Dangerous Aussies = The Nasty marine critters that you find in Australia (Blue Ringed Octopus, Box Jellyfish, Stonefish, Seasnakes, Salt Water Crocs etc)
Blow down-equalizing the internal bell psi to the ambient external psi....... Blow up- making things go boom (fun)/or accelerating ascent (not fun) that no good ever comes of-and somebody will surely be blamed, make sure its not what you did, if you live to complain:).
Work below surface of water, I can use scuba gear to inspect, repair, remove, or install equipment and structures. I can use a variety of power and hand tools, such as drills, sledgehammers, torches, and welding equipment. Also conduct tests or Experiments, or photograph structures or marine life.
Operation and Control – I can Control operations of equipment or systems.
Speaking – I can talk to others to convey information effectively.
Gross Body Coordination -- The ability to coordinate the movement of my arms, legs, and torso together when the wh*** body is in motion.
Spatial Orientation -- The ability to know my location in relation to the environment or to know where other objects are in relation to me.
Stamina -- The ability to exert myself physically over long periods of time without getting winded or out of breath.
Manual Dexterity -- The ability to quickly move my hand, my hand together with my arm, or my two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
Far Vision -- The ability to see details at a distance.
Night Vision -- The ability to see under low light conditions.
Flexibility of Closure -- The ability to identify or detect a known pattern (a figure, object, word, or sound) that is hidden in other distracting material.
Problem Sensitivity -- The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
Control Precision -- The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.

My reference list.
- John Bevan, PhD,(2005), the professional Diver's handbook, 2nd ed. SUBMEX,UK
http://www.under-water.co.uk/submex/index.html
- Paul R. Scheele, M.A. (1999), PhotoReading, 3rd ed. printed in the united states of America.USA . www.learningstrategies.com
jibberish

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service