Hello everyone, I am new to this site and new to this type of work.  I have done my research and I am still convinced I want to get into commercial diving.  I have about 18000 saved up and qualify for financial aid if needed.  I have narrowed my schools down to 4 and was wondering if you all could help me decide what ones to go visit next month.  I also noticed that some offer certain certificates.  what certificates would you recommend right out of dive school so I can work anywhere in the world.  The schools I chose are Holland College in Prince Edward Island in Canada, Commercial Diving Academy (you know where it is), Commercial diving institute In Seattle, WA and the last one is the dive school at Louisiana Tech (Morgan City).

Thank you for your help.  

Views: 3929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well hey man, if you are bummed on CDA and have the money, I would check out this one in Seattle.  http://www.diversinstitute.edu/  Its roughly the same cost, you just have to find housing and pay for food. They say it costs an extra 10000 for that but that seems exaggerated to me. 

Yeah I was actually looking at that place initially cause Ive been to Seattle before and it's beautiful there and I love the weather. I'm not a heat and humidity kind of person. But As you said. They don't have housing which I think would end up costing more to find and rent for the school duration than CDA with their dorm and meal plan. Florida is a compromise, has dorms and food and I could drive down there, I live in Pa, but I hate the heat and humidity.

Norway

You can find a room to rent for $500.00 per month.

An apartment can be rented for $1.000.00 per month.

You still will not spend $30,000.00

Yeah I was looking it up a bit. What I believe I found for living costs for the 16 weeks at NYD, 4-5 months, was that it would come out to around $6000. While the tuition itself is pretty much $5550 (33500 NOK). Soooo, that math looks pretty good to me as compared to other schools.... However that is to say without the airline ticket and a student visa or whatever. More research will go into that soon

So Joseph, are you an official NYD spokes person? That's all I ever see from you. Haha

Look at PDC in South Africa.. Course,DMT,Room,Meal plan and Plant ticket around 12-13k.. you get full IMCA certs. Course is around 5months long.

Not sure what all this TOP stuff is at NYD but once you come back to the gulf or inland you won't even use it. You'll be a tender for 5-6 years.

Damn. That place actually sounds really great. Should have just joined the navy to become a diver... Haha. I'll have to look into this PDC place a little more

it's just like NYD when you finish.. You get a Govt diving card and able to work anywhere if you can find work overseas.

You stay in a hotel right on the Indian Ocean and there's alot of stuff to do down there.. You actually dive off a diveboat also.

Yeah I would say that PDC looks pretty cool, and am now considering them.  It looks like a fun place and I like that you live in a hotel with three meals/day. On top of that I bet South Africa has tons of hot tourist babes and there's nice beaches with sunshine. Only downside is you don't train in miserable black cold Norwegian waters getting ready for whats to come.  Anyway,  I emailed them and asked how much it would be to do the Diver IV, III and II class. It takes 5 months.  I'll let you all know what they say.  

JMayo, did you do these three cla**** back to back?  How much was it?  

Tickets to Durban in South africa look to be from about $700-$1000 and about $1500 to Norway.  Those are prices from Las Vegas though.

Yes I did the Combo course. It's cheaper doing the combo price. Plane ticket was around $1,800 round trip.

PDC is located in Durban and around 3 million people.. so lots of girls.

But I'll tell you again there are other trades out there screaming for skilled welders and fitters. You could spend 11k at a good welding school that will teach you pipe (especially tig) and you could be working year round all over the country making just as much or more as a Diver II in the gulf (yearly average)

What schools would you recomend going to for strictly a welding trade?   

Dude, this is all you need to know. Dive school sucks, it's hard work, it's long, you're in class with a bunch of  other a******s, and you're all pretty much getting the same thing. It's how hard you work and put your best foot forward and STUDY that gets you ahead of everyone else in life. I went to CDA, and it's not the greatest place on earth, but who cares? I got my DMT, ICMA card, welding cert, the wh*** 9 yards and just dealt with it and got it over with. you want to live on campus? It sucks. It's like an open population cell block, or you can do what I did and get an apartment 20 minutes away and pay 500 dollars a month, and sign a 6 month lease. You need to do the research and ultimately decide what you want to get out of training. Everyone that graduates from each school is obviously going to say its the best. Look at the certifications and see what you want, ask a million questions to divers that are out in the world doing it and make your decisions from there. CDA's financial aid program will get you hooked up with funding and you'll be taken care of. And yeah, its hot as f*** in Jacksonville, but you get used to it. The PT program there is actually pretty good too. If you've got money saved up, you need to travel to these schools and take a tour if you're worried about the way of life or what have you. 

"What schools would you recomend going to for strictly a welding trade?"

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/welding-schoo...

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service