I am having a hard time finding any information about getting my IMCA cert.. I am having an even harder time trying to get a overseas company to even talk to me. I have been in the business for almost ten years now. Any tips from anyone. Are there any Americans that do work alot overseas? Any help would be appreciated.

Views: 397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Michael, I think you would have to go to an IMCA training school to change your ticket, which would probably cost you a few dollars, I do not think there are any grandfather clauses anymore? i could be wrong of course, so you would have to contact the schools yourself. a few years ago the European Asian companies shied away from Americans when they got sued by a couple on the trot. this was a long time ago. not sure if it still relevant or not. I haven't worked with many yanks over this side of the pond, maybe that's the reason?
i pretty shure there loop h***s i dont know what they are we just sent a crew to africa and none have imca cards
Can anybody other than a US or Canadian citizen work in the Gulf or US waters?
I know that we had some American divers come to our school to get their certs, but I don't think they had any trouble getting offshore in places like Nigeria.

IMCA D014 rev 1 and the associated information note D03/08 sets out IMCA recognised certificates. The ACDE certificate is included on the list as being accepted as showing suitable basic training. However, note that subsequent diving experience needs to be demonstrated by logbook entries.

In the US IMCA diving contractor members who use divers with ACDE certificates asked if IMCA could put in place a process to verify the diving experience of divers that they use so that they could obtain a certificate which would be recognised by IMCA and could also be shown to clients. This resulted in IMCA approving the Ocean Corporation to undertake verifications of divers holding ACDE certificates who were employed by IMCA US based diving contractor members.

For example if you wanted to convert to an IMCA Bell Diving equivalent you would need to do the following;
Hold a suitable ACDE qualification and have received appropriate saturation diver training in order for you to work as a saturation diver. You would then need to demonstrate appropriate experience as a saturation diver. The parameters identified for this by the IMCA Americas Deepwater Section Diving Subgroup were:
As a minimum, a diver should have worked for the IMCA contractor member company putting them forward as a bell diver and must have demonstrated the following with that company:

– a minimum of 30 days in saturation > 50msw

– a minimum of 15 lockouts

– a minimum of 50 hours’ in-water time

– a minimum of two injured diver recovery drills;

I am not familiar with the different types of certificates issued by all the ACDE schools - it would be best if you checked with the College of Oceaneering direct.

Americans do get work overseas, but the reality is that most Clients do not realise that ACDE can be an acceptable cert under certain circ**stances.

If you can't get your cert converted through the method suggested above, then go to a school in South Africa that issues IMCA recognised certs, they are the cheapest option.

Good luck
If you can't get your cert converted through the method suggested above, then go to a school in South Africa that issues IMCA recognised certs, they are the cheapest option.

Anybody know how much cost for school in south africa that issues IMCA recognised ? Or another option maybe.
talk to this girl....she's american working overseas

the ocean corp offers IMCA


NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service