Introduction to Consensus Standards for Commercial Diving and Underwater Operations – 6th Edition 2012 Annual Review.

I have started making my suggestion for change to the ADC INTERNATIONAL CONSENSUS STANDARDS. You can do so here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QLSXSHV
This is also published in the Safety Ideas and Concerns Forum and will be updated as I make more suggestions.

4.3.1.1 Minimum Personnel Requirements
• One air-diving supervisor.

• One diver.

• One tender/diver who shall be properly equipped and capable of performing the duties of a standby dive.

The Following from ADCI Revision 6, your own rules, negates any possibility of a three man dive team.

NOTE: EACH WORKING DIVER MUST BE CONTINOUSLY TENDED BY A SEPARATE DIVE TEAM MEMBER.  (From notes 4.3 SURFACE-SUPPLIED AIR DIVING) One diver trying to rescue another is in fact a WORKING Diver, one man cannot tend them both.

3.4 SURFACE-SUPPLIED AIR DIVING SUPERVISOR
3.4.1 RESPONSIBILITIES
(bullet point 17 in the list)

• Ensure that each diver is continuously tended while in the water.
5.7 STANDBY DIVER REQUIREMENT
At least one member of every dive team shall be designated the standby diver and should be suitably prepared to enter the water when directed by the diving supervisor. Prior to commencement of the operation, the standby diver’s equipment shall be fully verified as functioning correctly and  thereafter maintained  in that condition until completion of the dive. Should the standby diver be required to enter the water, a surface check shall be completed to ensure proper breathing gas supply, bailout function and  effective communications before the diver leaves the surface. The standby diver shall utilize the same mode and level of equipment as the primary diver.
(On a three man dive team your listed requirements above cannot be carried out! Please arrange for demonstration on how the checks required prior to jumping the standby diver are done. One person tending two divers in the water leaves no one to keep two bottom times, operate two dive radios, or even switch air supply if needed. Let alone get assistance in an emergency situation)
5.6 DESIGNATED DIVING SUPERVISOR
1. A qualified person shall be designated in charge of each diving operation. The responsibilities of such designated persons should include job planning, coordination, record keeping and proper response to any job-related emergency, as well as knowledge of the appropriate governmental regulatory agency regulation.
(Remove the word should and replace with shall. Should means maybe, it might happen. Shall means it has the force of law or rule. Plus add the following to a requirement.)

• Must physically run each dive undertaken on his shift and may only be relieved by a qualified Dive Supervisor.

Views: 181

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ADC INTERNATIONAL CONSENSUS STANDARDS

My Minimum Surface Gas Recommended Changes are here!

RSS

NEW Commercial Diving Jobs

© 2024   Created by Adam Broetje.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service